A-Z list of waste types
Find out about the different types of waste, where to recycle or dispose of them, and any restrictions or charges for these.
- Recycle (charges apply): Baths can be taken to any of Staffordshire's recycling centres. There is a charge of £3 per unit.
- Reuse: Have you considered reusable batteries instead of disposable?
Recycle: Staffordshire's recycling centres accept batteries, some shops also offer battery collection points.
- Reduce: Careful driving by minimising harsh breaking and accelerating will minimise tyre wear and save you money on fuel too. Recycle (charges apply): Tyres can be taken to Staffordshire's recycling centres. There is a charge of £4 for tyres on or off the rim. There is no charge for bicycle tyres.
- Reduce: Staffordshire's libraries stock the latest titles for loan. Have you considered getting an e-reader, e.g. Kindle or Kobo readers? Our libraries also stock eBooks, eMagazines and eAudiobooks.
Reuse: Before you throw anything away why not see if it can be reused? Staffordshire's recycling centres have a reuse area where items in good condition can be donated where they will be taken to the reuse shop located on the Cannock Recycling Centre. Charity shops accept a wide variety of items. Please contact your local charity shop for more information on what they can accept. Reuse networks such as Freecycle, Freegle and Ecobees allow members to advertise goods for reuse or sharing through local groups and forums. Membership and advertising is free and everything offered must also be free. Sell it; there are a variety of online selling websites. Other options are advertising in the local paper, or on noticeboards in newsagents, shops, and supermarkets. If you have quite a few items why not consider a car boot sale?
Recycle: Magazines can be recycled in your kerbside recycling, check your local council if books can be accepted. Staffordshire's recycling centres accept books and magazines and should be placed in the mixed media bin.
- Reduce: Instead of buying a bottle when on the go or for lunchboxes have you considered taking a reusable container?
Recycle: Clean cans, aerosols, tins, metal bottle/jar tops, aluminium takeaway containers and tin foil can be recycled in your kerbside recycling or taken to any Staffordshire recycling centre.
- Reuse: Consider if the material can be re-used in another home project.
Recycle (charges apply): Soil and hardcore can be taken to any of Staffordshire's recycling centres. There is a charge of £3 per bag. This includes rubble, bricks, tiles and ceramics. Charges are based on standard rubble bags which are approximately 76cm x 96 cm. They are available from DIY stores or you can buy them from the recycling centre for 10p. Waste can be presented loose or in different sized bags and charges will be estimated by staff.