Wherever possible repair broken items to keep them in use that bit longer.
Before you throw anything away why not see if it can be reused or upcycled. There are lots of ways this can be done:
- Staffordshire’s recycling centres have a reuse area where items in good condition can be donated where they will be taken to the reuse shop located on the Cannock Recycling Centre.
- Charity shops accept a wide variety of items. Please contact your local charity shop for more information on what they can accept. A number of charities in Staffordshire will happily collect your unwanted large household items if they are in good condition.
- Reuse networks such as Freecycle, Freegle and Ecobees allow members to advertise goods for reuse or sharing through local groups and forums. Membership and advertising is free and everything offered must also be free.
- Sell it - There are a variety of online selling arenas, such as eBay. Other options are advertising in the local paper, or news agent’s window. If you have quite a few items why not consider a car boot sale?
- Upcycle it - How about being creative and turning an old item into something stylish?
Bulky waste collections
Local borough/district councils are responsible for bulky waste collections. Please click on the borough/district you live in to find out more information.