Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

Commonly asked questions


Unlike the NHS, often you'll have to contribute to the cost of social care.

You can use our online calculator to check if you are likely to have to pay towards any care services you receive via Staffordshire County Council and get some advice if you do.

Your ability to pay for care is worked out through a financial means test. Depending on the amount of your income, savings or assets, you may have to contribute towards some, or all of the support needed.


Once you have finished your hospital treatment most people can return home with no ongoing support, or just follow up from their GP if necessary.

If you do need support at home after a stay in hospital, you may be offered a time-limited support known as intermediate or reablement support. This is usually free and lasts up to six weeks, you then be reviewed to see if you need any additional support. The support will be arranged by the social work practitioners working in the hospital.


If you are finding it difficult to travel there are a range of travel options to help you.

These include community transport providers, provided by a network of voluntary organisations that help people get to the shops, services, medical appointments or leisure activities where no alternative or suitable transport is available.

You may be eligible for a disabled facility grant (DFG) to adapt your home. This is a means-tested grant, which means your income and savings are considered. It can take up to 12 months for the whole process to be completed. There are also many types of equipment that you can purchase to help you around the home and get out and about.
If you are looking for a care services our directory website Staffordshire Connects can help you find a range of different types including home care agencies and care home care providers who are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

If you need help with paying for care you will need to have a care and support assessment. This assessment applies national rules to see if you have care needs which make you eligible for care and support.

The amount of money that we can then pay towards the cost of your care depends on your financial situation. Our financial assessment and welfare benefits team to work with you to look at the details of your savings and other assets.


Planning your future care and support needs can be complicated and paying for it can be expensive. You should always seek independent financial advice. There may be options available to protect your interests.

You should also see if you are eligible to claim any welfare benefits. Use this free benefits calculator to check to see if you are entitled.

There are lots of day centres, groups and clubs across Staffordshire that will give you the chance to get out and about and meet other people. ** Help with transport may also be available locally to get you to places you want to go.
Daily living equipment and technology can help people to manage their everyday tasks and stay independent in their own homes. Take a look at our ‘daily living equipment’ pages to help you find the items you may need and where you can buy them.
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9

There are no results that match your search criteria