Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions

Funding the cost of care and support

For further information about funding, please see the pages listed on the right hand side, or if using a mobile, select 'related content' at the top of the page.



Coronavirus update

Due to the current coronavirus impact on our services, we would like to reassure you about the following:

  • we will meet the relevant costs incurred to both you or a family member (once you or they have fallen below the threshold) and to the provider
  • we will keep a comprehensive list of anyone who is impacted by these delays so we can follow up on any outstanding financial assessments
  • we will undertake as soon as possible any financial assessment required once you or they have advised us that you or they have fallen below the threshold to try and ensure a payment is made
  • we will also ensure a financial assessment is undertaken with anyone concerned when the current coronavirus crisis has passed. This will ensure any back-dated fees are paid accordingly to you or your family member and to your provider

Please accept our apologies for any uncertainty you may be experiencing. The speed of change due to the spread of the coronavirus is creating challenges for us in trying to maintain our usual business.



Can I get help?

If you need help with paying for care you will need to have a care and support assessment. This assessment applies national rules to see if you have care needs which make you eligible for care and support.

The amount of money that we can then pay towards the cost of your care depends on your financial situation.

If you would like to check if you are likely to have to pay towards any care services you receive through us, you can use our financial eligibility checker.

The checker is only a rough calculation. If we agree that you are eligible for care, we will ask you to have a financial assessment to determine who pays for the care you need. You and/or your family or representatives can complete this, or we can work with you to complete it.



What should I do if I have to pay the full cost?

If you do not qualify for any financial help, or if you choose not to tell us about your financial circumstances you will have to pay the full cost of care. You will be known as a self-funder (this is a link to the NHS website and arrangements may be different for SCC).

  • A person with capital over £23,250 is a self-funder and must pay for the full cost of their services until their capital falls below the upper capital limit or they request a deferred payment agreement (for residential care only). You should contact the council again when your capital has diminished to about £30,000 so that we can reassess your finances.
  • Councils can provide funding from the date you contact them. We will not reimburse you if your savings are less than £23,250 before you contact us.

An example invoice (197 KB) is available to view which will explain the different parts of the invoice.  

What is the process for arranging funding assistance from the council?

If you are a self-funder and are concerned that your capital is going to fall below the upper capital limit (currently £23,250) then the first step is to get in touch with us on 0300 111 8010.

You need to tell us that you are running out of funds and will need funding assistance. Someone, such as a relative or care home manager, can do this on your behalf but, because of data protection legislation, the council may need to speak to you directly.

Once the referral is received, the Contact Centre will refer you to the relevant social work team who will confirm if you have eligible assessed care needs. If this is confirmed they will arrange to send out a Financial Assessment form to be completed. Once returned, Staffordshire County Council’s Adult and Childrens Financial Services team will review your financial circumstances to carry out a full Financial Assessment. They will undertake a ‘diminishing capital calculation’ to work out when your funds will fall below the upper capital limit of £23,250. If this will be within the next four months, your case will be allocated to a Social Care Practitioner.

When will you be entitled to funding?

As long as you meet the eligibility criteria for residential care, the council will fund your care home from whichever date below is the latest:

  1. The date that you approach the council for funding assistance, subject to you providing evidence to support your claim (see 3 below), and
  2. The date that your funds fall below the capital limit, and
  3. The date that evidence to support your claim is received (if you delay in providing the evidence). This will be the case if there are no mitigating circumstances which prevented you from providing the information earlier. If there were mitigating circumstances, only 1 and 2 above will apply.

Staffordshire County Council's Adult and Childrens Financial Services Team will calculate the provisional funding date and notify you by letter and inform your allocated social worker who will confirm an agreed funding date with you. Once the financial assessment form is processed you will also be told how much you will be asked to continue to pay towards your care after your capital drops below the capital limit.

Please note: If you approach the council when your funds are already below the capital limit, the council will not put you back up to the limit.

Planning your future care and support needs can be complicated and paying for it can be expensive.

You should always seek independent financial advice

You should also see if you are eligible to claim any welfare benefits. Use this free benefits calculator to check to see if you are entitled.



Can I still get help if I have to pay the full cost?

No matter what the outcome is, we will still offer you advice. We can work with you to develop a care and support plan which will set out how your needs can be best met.

We can also arrange any non-residential care and support for you. 

 Please note

We are not permitted by law to arrange residential or nursing care for you.

There will be an initial arrangement fee plus an ongoing annual fee to cover the administrative costs of doing so. Please contact us for the current fees.

We will charge you an initial arrangement fee plus ongoing annual fees to cover our costs of making such arrangements. You will be informed at the time what the current fees are.



What if I am financially eligible for some support?

We will work with you to:



Can I get financial help with home adaptations or equipment?

If you are disabled you could apply for a disabled facilities grant that can help you to make the changes you need to your home. 

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news

Thousands of Staffordshire Moorlands Children to be Tested for Covid Delta Strain

Surge testing of thousands of pupils in Leek and Cheddleton gets underway tomorrow (Monday) in a bid to tackle a major outbreak of the Delta Variant of Concern (VOC).
13 June 2021

Soccer Fans in Leek Urged to Stay Onside Ahead of England Match

Soccer fans in Leek heading out to watch England's Euros debut are being urged to stay ahead of the game by getting tested, getting vaccinated and sticking to the rules to help tackle the Covid outbreak in the town.
13 June 2021

Surge testing on the cards for Leek and Cheddleton

Surge testing of around 10,000 people will take place across Leek and Cheddleton from next week, after more than 100 cases of Covid were recorded in the town.
11 June 2021

Over 18s in Leek called on to get vaccinated to help tackle a Covid outbreak in the town

People aged 18 or over in Leek are being asked to book a vaccine as soon as possible at a local pop-up clinic running until next week.
10 June 2021

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom