Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

Funding adaptations and equipment

Reviewing the information, advice, and guidance we provide for Disability Facilities Grants (DFG).

Staffordshire County Council and Lichfield District Council are exploring ways to improve how residents interact with their local council, regardless of whether it is a County Council or District Council service.

Our ambition is to provide a joined-up, high-quality service this is easy to access and simple to use, regardless of which council you need to speak to. 

In this phase we are looking at the way we share information, advice, and guidance for Disabilities Facilities Grants (DFG).

Why your views matter. 

By providing your views on the way DFG information, advice and guidance is currently delivered, we can make sure that we continue to improve the way this is delivered. 

You could get a grant if you have a disability and need to make changes to your home.

Please note that this survey is focused on:
1.   The Customer Service team and how they assist you with DFG enquiries and the help that they provide.
2.   The information, advice, and guidance that is available to you on the Lichfield District Council and Staffordshire County Council webpages.
Outcomes or any decisions made as part of the Disabilities Facilities Grants (DFG) service, are not covered as part of this survey.

Take the Survey

What can it be used for?

Examples include:

  • widening doors and install ramps and step rails
  • improving access to rooms and facilities - e.g. stair lifts or level access bathing
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use 



How do I apply?

To apply for a disabled facilities grant you should contact the Staffordshire Cares team.

They will initially assess your needs to ensure that the proposed work is necessary and appropriate to meet the needs of the person with a disability.

The team will put you in contact with the appropriate service or your local authority. 

What about the costs of other home adaptions and equipment?

There are a range of options available which may make your and/or your carer's everyday life much easier and safer.

These can range from small things such as jar openers, grab sticks, long handled shoe horns, talking clocks or personal alarms to larger home adaptations such as a stair lift, extension or a level access shower.

For more information about the range of adaptations available see the equipment and technology page.

Equipment and minor adaptations costing £5,000 or less

If you are eligible for care and support, these are generally provided free of charge. This includes the cost of buying and fitting any adaptations.

Equipment and minor adaptations costing more than £5,000 

A charge is made for adaptations that cost more than £1,000. If you are eligible for care and support, you will be asked to have a financial assessment to work out how much you may need to contribute.


Where can I get further information?

The Gov.UK site has information about disabled facilities grants including:

  • what you'll get
  • eligibility criteria 

Frequently asked questions

  • Vertical Lifts (Through Floor Lifts)
  • Step Lifts
  • Ceiling Track Hoists; along with the slings

Stairlifts and Clos-o-mats for adults are no longer maintained after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. This is the responsibility of the owner of the equipment to fund the maintenance and repairs for Stairlifts and Clos-o-mats.

Children’s equipment only

The exceptions to the above arrangement are Stairlifts that are installed for Children under the age of 18.


Portable equipment such as floor hoists, mattress variators, hospital beds, bath lifts are covered and maintained by Medequip 01785 273950.



Telephone: 01785 895380; alternatively via email fixedequipmentmanagementteam@staffordshire.gov.uk.

  • Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 5.00pm
  • Friday: 8:30am - 4.30pm (excluding bank holidays)

Please note for any out of hours/new referrals please telephone Staffordshire Cares (0300) 111 8010.


Since the 1 October 2019 the contractor is Dolphin Lifts Midlands Ltd.

Working hours and call out arrangements

Normal working hours are Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 6pm.

Call out cover is provided 24/7, 365 (366 for leap year) days per year.

  • Priority 1 - Emergency - response within 2 hours
  • Priority 2 - Urgent - response within 24 hours
  • Priority 3 - Normal - response within 5 days

If the client has called the manufacturer and they have stated, the warranty has expired and the current contractor (Dolphin) has no record of the individual or equipment. Staffordshire County Council has an agreement that Dolphin will still attend if it is an emergency or if it is out of office hours. In these instances FEMT must be made aware via the mailbox fixedequipmentmanagementteam@staffordshire.gov.uk.


The manufacturer is responsible. The county council is not responsible for servicing equipment whilst under warranty. Warranty period and servicing by manufacturers vary please refer to the manufacturer.

If you are unsure please Telephone: 01785 895380; alternatively email fixedequipmentmanagementteam@staffordshire.gov.uk.

  • Stannah Stair Lifts: 0121 559 2260
  • Prism Medical Ceiling Track Hoists: 01924 840100
  • Wessex Lifts Vertical Lifts: 01794 83030
  • Millbrook Healthcare: 0333 999 0870
  • Total Hygiene (wash dry toilets): 0800 374076
  • Terry Lifts (step lifts): 0845 365 5366
  • Pollock: 0289 336 8167
  • Lynch Healthcare (Likorall Hoists): 0191 516 2080

If a replacement of equipment is required, then forward this request onto the FEMT mailbox: fixedequipmentmanagementteam@staffordshire.gov.uk.


For removal of equipment then forward this request onto the FEMT mailbox fixedequipmentmanagementteam@staffordshire.gov.uk.

For a stairlift - this is the responsibility of the client unless the client is under the age of 18.


Please contact Staffordshire Cares who will pass your information onto our Occupational Therapy team for the relevant Duty Officer to make contact. If the client meets the eligibility criteria for a DFG (Disability Facilities Grant) they will arrange for a referral to be made and for an Occupational Therapist to visit to carry out an assessment.


Fixed equipment doesn’t get moved from one property to another, the client would need to telephone Staffordshire Cares via (0300) 111 8010 to enable a new assessment to be undertaken.


Our current Insurance provider is HSB (Munich RE), HSB carry out inspections of Thorough Examination to comply with L.O.L.E.R. Regulations.

Please note HSB do not service any equipment it is purely a visual check.

Health & Safety inspections are not part of the provision of maintenance of fixed equipment contract and therefore clients will have visits by both HSB and the contracted provider for maintenance.

Please note for any HSB defects identified for warranty equipment are sent to the manufacturers to be actioned.


If the client wishes to make a complaint this can be made via Staffordshire County Council: complaintsandcustomerfeedback@staffordshire.gov.uk, or the provider currently Dolphin Lifts Midland Ltd: office@dolphinmidlands.co.uk.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13

Disclaimer: information is subject to change - correct as of December 2020. 

Did you find this webpage helpful?

If you have any feedback on our webpage, please let us know by sending an email to staffordshire.connects@staffordshire.gov.uk. Thank you.

There are no results that match your search criteria