Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

Minibus training scheme

What is the minibus driver training scheme?

The scheme is for drivers who want to carry passengers on a minibus. It is open to any organisation that would like to have their minibus drivers assessed.

A permit will be issued, usually for 5 years, if the driver passes a practical assessment.

How much does it cost?

All potential drivers will need to pass a medical clearance procedure. This is free for employees of Staffordshire County Council if their medical is carried out by our occupational health unit.

Organisations who aren't signed up to our occupational health unit's service level agreement may be charged within the region of £45 to £70 depending on which occupational health unit is used.

How do I apply?

Please note: If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 you will be restricted to the weight of vehicle you can drive. You can drive a vehicle up to and including 3500kg (or 4250kg if the vehicle is adapted) without gaining category D1.

To apply please email  minibus@staffordshire.gov.uk for an application form. 

Staffordshire County Council,
Road safety unit,
PO Box 3593,
Stafford, ST16 9RB

Please contact us for futher information and guidance.

When do I need category D1 on my licence?

This category is needed to legally drive a minibus which carries between 9 and 16 people.

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you won't have category D1 on your licence and will need to add it.

How do I add provisional category D1 to my licence?

There are a couple of steps you must take to add the category to your licence:

Once these forms have been completed, you'll recieve a licence with a provisional D1.

This will allow you to drive a minibus, provided that you have front and rear L plates on the vehicle and are also accompanied by another driver who has D1 on their licence.

How do I add full category D1 on my licence?

After you've got provisional D1 entitlement on your licence you can apply to take the minibus theory and practical tests. You must pass both in order to have category D1 added to your licence.

Please note: We advise that you seek professional training for the D1 tests, as we do not provide this.

How can I book my tests?

You can book your theory test or practical test online on the .gov website.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest transport news
New two-way cycleway will provide safe north Staffordshire link

New two-way cycleway will provide safe north Staffordshire link

Work to create a two-way cycleway in Newcastle to provide a safe route and link to Stoke-on-Trent begins on June 27.
24 June 2022
Young bikers offered £50 off their Compulsory Basic Training course

Young bikers offered £50 off their Compulsory Basic Training course

Young bikers from across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent are getting the chance to attend a free workshop to help promote safer riding.
21 June 2022
Work starts to restore historic Grade II Listed bridge

Work starts to restore historic Grade II Listed bridge

An eight-month project to restore a Staffordshire Grade II Listed road bridge has started.
15 June 2022
Pioneering pothole machine trialled in Staffordshire

Pioneering pothole machine trialled in Staffordshire

A machine designed by legendary Staffordshire digger maker JCB to help speed up pothole repairs is being trialled in the county, after a previous trial last year.
13 June 2022

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom

Contacting the chat service.

Please wait...
Chat with us
digital assistant
Enter your question below