Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

Footpaths (pavements) and cycleways

We are responsible for the maintenance of approximately 4,500km of footways and cycleways. Trip hazards on pavements and cycleways are always a key concern whilst the problems of weeds, standing water and ice tend to be more seasonal.

You can report any of the following:

  • pavement holes

  • uneven surface / paving

  • loose paving slabs or pavement surfaces

  • broken slabs

  • missing paving slabs / kerb stones

  • trip hazards


How do I report a pavement defect, such as; pot hole, cracking/crazing, uneven tarmac/paving slab, missing/rocking kerb stone?

The easiest way to report an issue is to create a report online.

How do I report damage to ironwork such as water stop tap cover or other apparatus?

Utility companies are responsible for maintaining and repairing their apparatus on the public highway in Staffordshire and in most cases you should report problems with defective ironwork to the owner. Most pieces of apparatus on the highway provide some indication of the company it belongs to; however, this is not always clear, or you may not be able to safely identify this information on busy roads.

If you are unsure who is responsible for the apparatus or if the fault appears to be posing an imminent risk to safety, we may need to carry out an inspection and make the area safe. In the case of emergencies or uncertainty about ownership, you can submit a report online. You can find contact details for utility companies on the water UK website.

Can I request a new road name sign?

Your local district/borough council is responsible for the naming of roads along with the placement, maintenance and repairs of road naming signs.

Please contact your local district/borough council to report any issues. You can find your local district/borough council through the gov.uk website.

Can I request a sweeper to clear up mud, leaves and debris?

Your local district/borough council is responsible for cleaning the roads and pavements, please contact your local Streetscene team at your local district/borough council to request a road sweeper.

You can find your local district/borough council through the gov.uk website.

How do I report fly tipping?

Please refer to our fly tipping page for information about fly tipping and our responsibilities.


We recognise the need to encourage more cycling through enhancing and promoting the local network.

The Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy, published on 21 April 2017, sets out the Government’s ambition to make cycling and walking the natural choices for shorter journeys or as part of a longer journey.

Cycle lanes can be: mandatory, which are marked with solid white lines, and from which other vehicles are excluded for at least part of the day, and advisory, which are marked with broken white lines and can be used by other road users if necessary.

How do I report issues such as overgrown vegetation or surface defect on a cycleway?

The easiest way to report an issue is to create a report online.

How do I request for a new cycleway to be created?

Our transport planning department creates an integrated transport programme to establish how funding is spent from the budget and other funding bids, this can be for improving the cycle network other transport networks. You can see further information on our transport planning page.

We only have funds to carry out a small number of requests received. Therefore, approved requests will be placed on a list in priority rank order. The available budget and the type of schemes required will determine how quickly we can work down the list.

Alternatively, requests can be made via our divisional highways programme.

There are no results that match your search criteria