We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Weights and measures

You can see our frequently asked questions below:

Where can I find a list of all public weighbridges?

A public weighbridges list is available; Staffordshire County Council test and calibrate public weighbridges, for prices and opening timesplease confirm details with the weighbridge operator before you visit.

If you are a business wanting information on testing and certification of a weighbridge please contact us.

Who do I complain to about short weight and measure?

Staffordshire Trading Standards Business Advice team:

Phone: 0300 111 8045 
Minicom: 01785 276207 

I bought some goods and when I got home I weighed them on my own scales and the weight seems to be wrong. What can I do?

You should contact your local trading standards team.

Please note: Kitchen scales are not required to be as accurate as the trader's scales. Don't be surprised if the goods are later found to be the correct weight.

How do I know the trader's scales are accurate?

All equipment must pass an independent accuracy test before it can be used to weigh or measure goods.

Should my local shop provide a scale for my use?

No, but when the trader weighs the goods, they must make the weight known to you by one of the following ways:   

  • Telling you.
  • On a receipt or ticket.
  • Allowing you to see the weight display on the scale.

Should goods be sold in metric quantities?

Yes. The exceptions to the rule are: 

  • Free flow beers.
  • Ciders and milk in returnable bottles. The pint may still be used.
  • Precious metals and stones. The ounce troy may still be used.

Can I still ask for a pound (lb) of apples or a quarter (1/4) of boiled ham?

Yes, but the trader must weigh them in metric units.

How do I convert to metric units?

The most common metric conversions are between mm, cm, m and km.

  • 1 cm = 10 mm
  • 1 m = 100 cm = 1000 mm
  • 1 km = 1,000 m = 100,000 cm = 1,000,000 mm
  • kilo means 1,000, so 1 km = 1000 m
  • centi means 1/100th, so 1 cm = 1/100th m
  • milli means 1/1000th, so 1 mm = 1/1000th m 

Once confident with these conversions, converting units of mass and capacity is easier:

  • 1 km = 1,000 m, so 1 kg = 1,000 g
  • 1 m = 100 cm, so 1 l (litre) = 100 cl (centilitres)
  • 1 m = 1,000 mm, so 1 g = 1,000 mg (milligrams) 

My packet of crisps is marked with 30g e - what does this mean?

Some bags of crisps may contain more than 30g and some less. The manufacturer must ensure that on average the contents of the bags in a batch are 30g.

I put £10 worth of petrol in my car and the guage didn't move as far as it usually does. Is the pump giving a short measure?

All petrol pumps are tested before use by the public, and sealed to prevent tampering. However, this may occur because of the following:

  • The price per litre has increased since you last used the garage.
  • Your gauge may be faulty or inaccurate.

  • Since the pump was last checked it may have developed a fault giving you short measure.

If you still think there is a problem with the pump, please remember to record:

  • The pump number
  • Grade of fuel
  • Time it was used

I bought a pint of beer in my local pub and the glass was not full, is this legal?

It is illegal to give short measure. The pub must measure the beer using one of the following: 

  • Crown stamped or CE marked lined glasses
  • Crown stamped or CE marked brim glasses
  • Unstamped oversized glasses

Public Protection Trading Standards list of public weighbridges

This information is provided for guidance only. Details should always be confirmed with the weighbridge operator.

Burton area

  • Simms McIntyre Metals Ltd Paget Street Burton-on-Trent DE14 3TQ Tel: (01283) 568549 -50 Tonnes -15.2m x 3m -£10 Inc. VAT -A38 -(Mon – Fri) 8am – 4:30pm (Sat) 8am – 11:30am.

Cannock area

  • E&P Ridley Stoneyford Lane Blithbury Rugeley Staffs WS15 3HT Tel: (01889) 586659 -40 Tonnes -9m x 3m -£5 inc VAT -A51 -Open every day 24hrs.
  • L.C.P. Burntwood Business Park Zone 4 Burntwood Staffordshire WS7 3XD Tel: (01543) 682131 -45 Tonnes -10m x 2.7m -£7 inc VAT -A5190 -Can Accommodate 24hrs.
  • Poplars Landfill Site Lichfield Road Cannock WS11 8NQ Tel: (01543) 577890 -2 x 50 Tonnes -15m x 3m -£11 Inc. VAT -A460 -(Mon-Fri) 7.30am – 4:30pm.
  • Woodlands Farm, Weston under Lizard, Staffordshire, TF11 8PX, Tel: 07720 883283 -50 Tonnes -18m x 3.5m-£8 + VAT-A5 -Mon – Thurs 7am - 5:30pm.

Leek area

  • R Bestwick & Son Ltd The Scrap Yard Barnfields Industrial Estate Leek ST13 5QG. Tel: (01538) 383888 -60 Tonnes -8.8m x 3m -£5.00 +. VAT -A53 -(Mon-Fri) 8am – 5pm.

Newcastle area

  • CPL Distribution Wolstanton Colliery Site Wolstanton ST5 0UA Tel: (01782) 637714 -40 Tonnes -12.1m x 3m -£6:00 Inc. VAT -A500 -(Mon – Fri) 7.30am – 3pm.

South Staffordshire area

  • J.B. Sands Horsebrook Lane Brewood Nr Staffordshire ST19 9LT Tel: (01902) 850350 -44 Tonnes -15m x 3m -£7 inc VAT -A34 -(Mon – Fri) 7:30am – 5pm.

Stafford Area

  • Carrs Billington Agriculture Ltd Cold Meece Stone Staffs ST15 0RQ Tel: (01785) 760535 -50 Tonnes --£5 Inc VAT -A519 -(Mon -Fri) 6am -8pm.
  • Downings Waste Recovery Ltd St Albans Road Stafford ST16 3DR Tel: (01785) 253786-50 Tonnes/ 20 Kilos -15.2m x 3m -£5 + VAT -A513 -(Mon – Fri) 8am – 5pm (Sat) 8am – 12pm.
  • J & S Metals Drummond Road Astonfields Stafford. Tel:(01785) 242058 -50 Tonnes -12.19m x 3.04m -£5 + VAT -A513 -(Mon – Fri) 8am – 5pm (Sat) 8am – 12pm.
  • Leese Brothers (Eccleshall) Ltd Platt Bridge Eccleshall. Tel: (01785) 850376-29 Tonnes/ 990 Kilos -10m x 3m -£5 Inc. VAT -A519 -(Mon – Fri) 8.30am – 5:30pm (Sat) 9am-12pm.

Stoke on Trent area

  • Stoke-on-Trent City Council, Weighbridge Site, Cromer Road, Northwood, Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 6QN  Email: transport.fleet@stoke.gov.uk-50,000 Tonnes -14 x 3 Metres-£10 including VAT-A52-Monday to Friday 7am-12pm and 1pm-6pm, Saturday and Sunday by appointment only.

Tamworth area

  • Tamworth Waste Disposal, 29 Mica Close, Amington Industrial Estate, Tamworth B77 4DR. Tel: (01827) 60418 -35 Tonnes -8m x 3m- £35 + VAT -A5 -(Mon – Fri)  8am-4:30pm.
  • WM Briers and Son Ltd, Unit 15 Felspar Road,Tamworth B77 4DP, Tel: (01827) 62668  -50 Tonnes -15m x 3m-£30 + VAT-A5 -(Mon – Fri) 8am-4:30pm.
  •  Ed Weetmans,  Pasturefield Enterpise Park, Pasturefields,  Great Haywood ST18 0RB. Tel: (01889) 270710        - 50 Tonnes  - 15m  x 3m- £7 + VAT- A51  - (Mon – Fri)  8am – 5.30pm  (Sat)  8am –11am.




There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest business news
Young farmer wins national award

Young farmer wins national award

Youngest County Farms tenant reaps national award after taking on tenancy two years ago at age of 21.
10 October 2019
Apprentices take to the stage for graduation

Apprentices take to the stage for graduation

Staffordshire apprenticeships celebrate their achievements at the Staffordshire apprenticeship graduation.
18 July 2019
Leading manufacturer relocates to Staffordshire business park

Leading manufacturer relocates to Staffordshire business park

A leading metal pipe and hose manufacturer will be the first company to locate at a business park near Stone.
01 April 2019
£38million Liberty Park development begins

£38million Liberty Park development begins

Work has started on a £38million development in Staffordshire that is set to create more than 700 new jobs.
25 February 2019

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom