Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Storing explosives (including fireworks)

Staffordshire traders who want to sell or store fireworks or other types of explosives will need to apply to us for a licence.

If you wish to store more than 5kg and less than 2,000kg net weight there are 3 types of licence available:

  1. To store fireworks and sell during bonfire night, new year, Diwali and Chinese new year:

  2. To sell fireworks all year:
  3. To store and sell explosives, shot gun cartridges, bird scarers, air bag inflators:


Please see the fireworks and explosives guidance page for more information.

How do I pay?

  • You can pay county council bills online. Select the 'Trading Standards' option.
  • You can call us on 01782 297522 and pay over the phone.
  • You can pay by cheque or postal order. They should be made payable to 'Staffordshire County Council' and posted with your application and supporting information to the address below.

Please note: if your application is received after 1 September you will be charged a new storage licence fee.

How much does it cost?

Total net explosives content in storeNew storage licenceRenewal of an existing storage licenceFireworks all year sales licence
Under 250kg £109 £54 £500
250kg - 2,000kg £185 £86 £500

Please note: payment is non-refundable in the event of your application being refused.

Application checklist

  • Send completed form.
  • Attach plans and current explosives risk assessment.
  • Pay fee for application.

Please note: details of your application will be shared with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Services, Staffordshire Police, Planning and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Contact us

Email: explosives licensing
Phone: 01782 297522


Staffordshire County Council Fireworks Licensing
Public Protection,
Trading Standards,
Explosives Licensing,
Castle House,
Barrack Road,
Newcastle under Lyme,

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest business news

Staffordshire micro business grant scheme makes a difference to first companies

Micro businesses in Staffordshire are being backed by a county council grant scheme – giving them essential support through the coronavirus crisis.
21 May 2020

Statements on announcement of JCB redundancy consultation

Staffordshire County Council leader Philip Atkins said: "This news is devastating for all employees concerned and their families. While we await the detail, we will do all we can, working with our partners such as Jobcentre Plus, the local enterprise partnership and our district and borough councils to ensure all the support is there at this difficult time."
15 May 2020

i54 South Staffordshire western extension enters new phase of works

An expansion of a major Staffordshire business park has moved into the next phase with preparation for factory platforms and services infrastructure works starting.
07 May 2020

Huge demand for grants scheme sees 1,600 calls in first week

A county council grants scheme for micro businesses in Staffordshire affected by the coronavirus outbreak saw 1,600 calls in its launch week.
01 May 2020

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom