Storing explosives (including fireworks)
Staffordshire traders who want to sell or store fireworks or other types of explosives will need to apply to us for a licence.
If you wish to store more than 5kg and less than 2,000kg net weight there are 3 types of licence available:
- To store fireworks and sell during bonfire night, new year, Diwali and Chinese new year:
- To sell fireworks all year:
- To store and sell explosives, shot gun cartridges, bird scarers, air bag inflators:
Please send completed application forms, risk assessment and plans electronically where possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are able to pay by credit or debit card it would be preferred, if you require any other assitance please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.
Please see the fireworks and explosives guidance page for more information.
How do I pay?
- You can pay county council bills online. Select the 'Trading Standards' option.
- You can pay by cheque or postal order. They should be made payable to 'Staffordshire County Council' and posted with your application and supporting information to the address below.
Please note: if your application is received after 1 September you will be charged a new storage licence fee.
How much does it cost?
All fees relating to Staffordshire Trading Standards are published online and can be found on our Fees wepage.
Please note: payment is non-refundable in the event of your application being refused.
- Send completed form.
- Attach plans and current explosives risk assessment.
- Pay fee for application.
Please note: details of your application will be shared with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Services, Staffordshire Police, Planning and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Email: explosives licensing
Phone: 01782 297522
Staffordshire County Council,
1 Staffordshire Place,