We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Skip operator registration

To register as a skip operator, please read the information below:


Licence summary   Back to top

Permission to place a skip on the public highway must be obtained from us in each instance. Permission will only be granted to the skip owner and although a licence to operate as a skip company is not required from us, the owner must be registered with the authority before an application can be processed.

Please note that there are legal requirements that a skip operator must adhere to when transferring and managing waste. This is advised and managed by the Environment Agency.

Our registration process checks to ensure that legally required licences have been obtained.



Criteria   Back to top

Registration is required for any organisation that wishes to obtain a permit from the highway authority and a completed registration form is returned with:

  • Copy of Public Liability Insurance valid for the full duration of the proposed permit with a minimum cover of £5,000,000

And where applicable or each type or organisation, one or more of the following:

  • Copy of NRSWA 1991 (Street Works) accreditation
  • Copy of Waste Management/Transfer Licence
  • Copy of Scaffold accreditation
  • Any others relevant to the type of application



Regulation summary   Back to top

If accepted and agreed, registered organisations contact details can be published to members of the public requiring a service provided:

  • There are no outstanding monies owed to the highway authority and,
  • There are no records of poor performance or failure to comply with conditions and,
  • Insurance and other necessary record copies are up-to-date

Any organisation with an intention to apply for a permit can register.



Will Tacit consent apply?   Back to top

Registration does not itself act as a permission. Applications must be made for each instance but can only be accepted from registered organisations. We aim to record registrations on receipt and our standard timescales for responding to applications governs the priority of processing registrations.

If you have any queries please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or email nmu@staffordshire.gov.uk.



Apply   Back to top

To apply, please complete the  skip operator registration form (123 KB).



Redress   Back to top

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court or, in Scotland, to their local sheriff. 

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.



Consumer complaint   Back to top

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest transport news
Pupils target drivers in anti-idling campaign

Pupils target drivers in anti-idling campaign

Pupils from Ellison Primary Academy in Newcastle are urging drivers to switch off their engines outside school as part of a new campaign to reduce air pollution.
21 January 2020
Work to tackle air pollution in Staffordshire continues

Work to tackle air pollution in Staffordshire continues

Getting employees to use more sustainable travel to and from work, encouraging pupils and parents to travel sustainably and looking at the future demand for electric car charging points are amongst the activities underway to help tackle air pollution in Staffordshire.
13 January 2020
Update on roadworks at Crown Street, Stone

Update on roadworks at Crown Street, Stone

Update on roadworks on Crown Street, Stone.
10 January 2020
Work to create homes access and new crossing begins

Work to create homes access and new crossing begins

Work to create access to a housing development site and install a new pedestrian crossing in Stafford begins on Monday November 25.
22 November 2019

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom