Our Network Management Unit controls all activities on the highway network to ensure that such activities are carried out with the appropriate legal permissions in place, that they are carried out with safety in mind and that they are properly co-ordinated with other activities, which may be planned or present in the street.
Some organisations, such as a highway authority or utility company, have a statutory right to carry out certain functions within the highway without individual consent. For all other functions and for private individuals, permission in the form of a permit or licence is normally required.
Important information before applying
This process covers the installation, maintenance and removal of seasonal decorations on or above the highway which requires notification to the highway authority under S178 of the Highways Act 1980. This process provides the mechanism and framework that allows organisations to provide the required notification.
Seasonal decorations give great pleasure and enjoyment to the public and this policy does not intend to prevent seasonal decorations from being used, but to ensure they are installed, operated and removed safely. There is an obligation on everyone for their own safety and the safety of others.
Before you start
Once you have started your application you will not be able to save progress and return later, so you’ll find it useful to ensure you have the following ready to attach in PDF or Word format with your application before you start:
- Valid public liability insurance, including ‘indemnity to principle’ to a value of £5,000,000.
- Detailed drawing of the area, routes and fixing points of the proposed decorations
- Detailed drawing of circuit protection details and isolation points
- Copies of professional accreditations (G39 Qualified, HERS contractor) of contractor undertaking installation
- Confirmation of approval from Eon (SLP520 or SCC Seasonal Decorations application - we will accept either of these) if electrical connection to highway authority equipment is required, for example power from a street lighting column.
Notifications can only be made to the authority by completing this online application.
If you have any problems completing your application, please contact the Network Management Unit at email@example.com.