The highways laboratory has been used for over 60 years, has a national reputation and is one of the few that remain under the control of a local authority.
The Highways Laboratory is a UKAS Accredited Testing Laboratory No. 0719.
What services do you offer?
- Asphalt and macadam testing,
- ground investigation,
- soil testing,
- aggregates and concrete testing,
- road and pavement investigation and analysis
- quality assurance audits
- factual and interpretative reports
- ground treatment design.
How are the services delivered?
- Testing samples of the materials used, to make sure that they comply with current standards and specifications.
- Using specialist test equipment to measure properties such as reflectivity of road markings and the skid resistance of road surfaces to protect the safety of road users.
- Contributing towards the design and development of new materials and so helping to make roads safer and more durable with less environmental impact
- Helping government agencies with advice and expertise which is used in national guidance documents.
- Advising and supporting neighbouring Local Authorities and other organisations.
- Making sure that there is consistency and continuity in delivering highways and development works.
- Leading on the development of recycled materials, protecting the environment, taxpayers and improving road quality.
- Testing materials for economic development sites, in partnership with the County Laboratory. Our tests make sure that the ground is stable and that any ground pollution is detected.
For further information about the highways laboratory please contact:
Emma Loach - Laboratory Manager
Telephone: 01785 277362