We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

School transport policy

The document below contains our current home to school and college travel policy and guidance:

Education travel policy summary (903 KB)

Am I entitled to free travel assistance?

Children in classes reception up to year 11 are entitled to free home to school travel assistance if they meet these three criteria:

  1. They live in Staffordshire.
  2. They live beyond walking distance from the school where they are registered (and which is a non fee paying school).
  3. They live in the catchment area, or are at the nearest suitable school with places available. A suitable school provides education appropriate to the age, ability, and aptitude of the pupil, and any special educational needs that the pupil may have. This is recorded in an education, health and care plan. This could be within or outside of Staffordshire, a two or three tier school, and a faith or non-faith school.

Assistance may also be provided if:

Please use the school routes checker to check your entitlement to free home to school travel assistance.

If you are not eligible there are other alternatives

Are nursery age children eligible?

There is no entitlement to free travel assistance for children under statutory school age. However you may be able to purchase a temporary vacant seat if available. 

How do I apply?

If having read the information above you feel you are eligible for free home to school transport assistance, please view the information on how to apply page.

Exceptional circumstances

If you feel there are other factors that should be considered by the local authority then you must provide written details and any relevant evidence when applying.

Please note: requests for help due to individual family work commitments, childcare arrangements or convenience to parents are generally not considered exceptional circumstances on their own.

Applications for pupils in years 10 and 11 get a higher level of consideration but we consider each application on its own merits. We consider all the circumstances and supporting evidence provided. There is no guarantee that we will provide assistance for any particular case.

If we agree to offer travel assistance as a concession due to exceptional circumstances, this may be free of charge, or we may request you pay a contribution towards the cost.

What is walking distance?

Walking distance is defined as:

  • Up to 2 miles for children in year 6 and below.
  • Up to 3 miles for children in year 7 to year 11.

We calculate the location of a home address using the property seed point. This is as defined by the National Land and Property Gazetteer.

We measure the distance using the shortest walking route from your child’s home address. This is to the nearest open gate to the school main site. It is calculated based upon the school gates, road and pathway network held at the time on the geographical information system (GIS). This may change over time as the network is updated and new gates, roads and paths are added or old ones removed. We will use the calculated shortest walking route to determine which is the closest school (or 3 closest when under low income grounds). We will then use the calculated shortest available walking route distance (if this differs) to determine if travel assistance is to be provided.

Note: A sibling or previous occupant of the property may have got help with travel. This does not guarantee that we will agree future travel assistance requests.

What type of help will be offered?

Travel assistance is only assessed and provided between one main home address and the registered base. We will provide assistance for one return journey at the beginning and end of the normal school day to match the school governing body approved session times.

It is your responsibility to make any necessary arrangements for your child's transport:

  • For any other times.
  • To or from any other location.

We will determine which type of travel assistance we can offer. We may change the type of help provided to make the best use of available resources. 

In the event that we have provided free travel assistance in error, the service will be withdrawn giving notice which we consider reasonable in the circumstances.

How is travel assistance provided?

Travel assistance will take the form of one of the following:

  • A pass for public transport (by bus or train). Pupils may need to change vehicles to complete their journey. For students with learning difficulties and disabilities we may offer independent travel training to help them to use public transport.
  • A place on a school bus or other vehicle hired by us. Pupils may need to change vehicles to complete their journey.
  • Payment of costs with a mileage allowance or personal travel budget. This is so you can make your own arrangements. 

We may offer a discretionary payment of travelling expenses in the form of a mileage or cycling allowance.

We pay this at the end of each term, once the school has signed the claim form to confirm the child’s attendance. We will not backdate any payments. If a child qualifies for help we will pay expenses from the date we have agreed the application.

Note: there may be two or more children from the same address attending the same school or same site. If we have agreed to a mileage allowance we will only pay one allowance as we expect them to travel together. We will reimburse you for two return journeys between home and school each day attended.

If a bus or contracted route becomes available, we may withdraw this payment. In this case we would replace it with a pass for public or contracted transport.

You may find the following information leaflets useful:

When will free travel assistance not be provided?

The following are some examples of when free travel assistance is unlikely to be provided:

  • To/from breakfast or before or after school clubs or activities.
  • To/from work experience, taster or open days.
  • To/from part-time provision off the school site organised by the school e.g. to vocational classes at a college.
  • Movement between educational establishments/sites.
  • To/from temporary addresses.
  • To/from childminders, friends or other family members addresses.
  • To students on exchange visits – the receiving family are responsible for arranging and paying for any transport required.
  • To/from dental, clinical, medical or hospital appointments.
  • At a differing time due to detention or after school activities.
  • Due to parental work or childcare arrangements.
  • To/from any site other than the registered main base of the school at which the pupil is registered.
  • Due to family financial circumstances except where the income assessed criteria are met.

Can my child be picked up from or taken to an alternative location?

We provide free travel between your child’s permanent home address and their registered school. Home to school travel assistance will not be provided to a school at which your child is not a registered pupil.

Children cannot travel to or from other addresses to suit childcare or parental work arrangements. We cannot transport them from other family member's or childminder's addresses.

A child may spend time during the school week at more than one address. We will assess eligibility for free travel from the main address. This is the address held by the school. You must produce proof showing this is the address used for claiming child benefit. In exceptional circumstances we may consider entitlement to travel assistance from another address.

What if I move house?

If your child already receives travel assistance and you move, you must:

  • Let your school know the new address.
  • Return the travel pass to the Transport and Connected County team.
  • If your child is attending the catchment or nearest suitable school with a place available for your new address and you live beyond walking distance, make a new application for help with travel.
  • If your new address is within Staffordshire, your move was sudden and due to exceptional circumstances, and your child was attending the catchment or nearest suitable school for your last address (but it is no longer the catchment or closest school for the new address) we may consider offering help with travel. Make an application and attach evidence of what you consider to be your exceptional circumstances.

Note: Applications for pupils in years 10 and 11 get a higher level of consideration but we consider each application on its own merits. We consider all the circumstances and supporting evidence provided. There is no guarantee that we will provide assistance for any particular case.

What if my child changes school?

If your child moves to another school other than due to a house move, we would not offer help with travel unless they meet the general criteria.

Moves to alternative establishments

If your child moves to an alternative establishment such as a pupil referral unit (PRU), the service responsible for the move should see if help with travel is possible.

Dual-registered children

A child may become ‘dual registered’. This is where they spend part of the week at their registered base and part at another establishment. We would consider travel assistance only to the main registered base. The registered base handles funding. They would have to agree to authorising travel assistance to any other establishment.

Managed moves

A school may arrange a ‘managed move’. This is where a child remains on the roll at their registered school but they attend another school. Their registered base would be responsible for arranging and paying for help with travel. They would have to agree it is necessary.

Moves due to claims of bullying

If your child has moved school because of bullying we can only consider travel help if you provide:

  • Written confirmation from the headteacher of the original school that they made all efforts to address the issue. They must confirm that it is in the best interest of the child that they should transfer to a new school.
  • Written recommendation from at least one other professional. This could be an education welfare worker or educational psychologist. They would have to recommend that your child should transfer.

The school your child moves to must be the next nearest school to the home address with an available place and if they live over the walking distance from the school they may get help.

We consider each request on its own merits. We will take into consideration any extra costs involved.

What happens when my child goes into year 7 at middle school?

Children attending their catchment or closest middle school who live between 2 and 3 miles from the school will have free home to school transport during years 5 and 6.

We would withdraw their travel assistance at the end of year 6. This is because they will no longer be above the 3 mile distance criteria applied from year 7 onwards.

What if my child has to repeat a year?

Pupils who repeat a year will be considered for travel assistance as if they are a year younger.

Raising the participation age (RPA)

Young people must now continue in education or training until they reach 18.

This change does not mean that free travel assistance will be provided beyond year 11 as they do not have to stay at school.

For example they can choose to:

  • Work full time and study part time.
  • Be involved in part time training whilst volunteering.
  • Continue full time study at school or college.

Data protection and fair processing

Any personal data collected through your application for travel assistance or request for a review or appeal against the decision is handled securely and in accordance with data protection legislation. 

We collect personal data including your child’s name, address, date of birth, name of current or previous school, and reasons for a travel assistance request from the application/request that you complete and submit to us. for income assessed applications we would also collect information and evidence of benefits received. The information provided will be used to process your application for travel, to ensure that any travel assistance provided is appropriate and to process any subsequent review or appeal against the decision.

Your application or review/appeal request will be kept for 6 years after processing and will then be destroyed securely.

We will share your data with the educational establishment and local authority services such as local support teams, district inclusion partnerships, and other agencies in order for them to carry out their statutory duties in relation to the provision of education or safeguarding, and the transport provider as necessary. 

In order to carry out a review or appeal of the decision we may also contact any of the following for further information - local councils, other local authorities, housing association or landlord, staff at the previous or present educational establishment, social worker, education welfare worker, local support team staff, specialist support services including Autism Outreach, ASSIST, Visual Impairment Team, Hearing Impairment Team, Adoption and Fostering Service, SEND Assessment and Planning Service and medical professionals for which you provide contact details.  

We always try to ensure that information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. To help us do this please let us know if your child’s details change. 

If you would like further advice on how the information provided is used or have a concern please contact the school admissions service in the first instance. 

Further information on how we utilise your personal data is available on our privacy notice and your data pages.

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest education news
Deadline for primary applications looms

Deadline for primary applications looms

Time is running out for parents to get their primary school applications in before the 15 January 2020 deadline.
10 January 2020
Access to online support will be part of new service

Access to online support will be part of new service

Children and young people in Staffordshire will have access to online support for their emotional health and wellbeing, after having their say on support services.
17 December 2019
More schools scheduled to be built in Staffordshire

More schools scheduled to be built in Staffordshire

More schools could be built in Staffordshire and a number refurbished to cope with an increasing demand for pupil places.
09 October 2019
More opportunities than ever for GCSE Pupils

More opportunities than ever for GCSE Pupils

Students in Staffordshire who are nervously awaiting their GCSE results are being told there are now more opportunities than ever to achieve a fulfilling career.
22 August 2019

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom