Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

SEN travel homepage

For pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) we apply the same general eligibility criteria as other pupils.

Having an EHCP or attending a special school or unit does not automatically result in the provision of free travel assistance.

Examples of when free travel assistance is unlikely to be provided

  • to/from breakfast or after school clubs or activities
  • to/from work experience, taster or open days
  • to/from part-time provision off the school site organised by the school e.g. to vocational classes at a college
  • for movement between educational establishments/sites
  • to/from temporary addresses
  • to/from childminders, friends or other family members addresses
  • to students on exchange visits – the receiving family are responsible for arranging and paying for any transport required
  • to/from dental, clinical, medical or hospital appointments
  • at a different time, due to detention or before/after school activities
  • due to parental work or childcare arrangements
  • to/from any site other than the registered main base of the educational institution
  • due to family financial circumstances except where the income assessed criteria are being met

Passenger assistants

Passenger assistants are provided if:

  • the child is under 5 years old; or
  • the child’s disability makes it necessary to provide a passenger assistant; or
  • the child has an emotional/behavioural difficulty that gives rise to concerns about the wellbeing of the pupil or other pupils or staff during the journey

Schools and parents have a responsibility to ensure that they brief passenger assistants about all the needs of the pupil. 

It is not the passenger assistant’s or driver's role to administer routine medication or carry out routine medical procedures for any child in their care.  Buses and taxis are not a good environment in which to give medication and only in exceptional cases can rescue medication be administered by trained transport staff.

For post 16 students, different arrangements apply


Apply for under 16 SEN travel assistance


Contacts and links


Independent travel training


Route reviews




What happens next?


What if my child is not eligible for SEN travel assistance?


Repayment of Travel Expenses

There are no results that match your search criteria