Longest Night Campaign
Wednesday 21 December is the longest night of the year, with the sun setting shortly after 4.00pm.
We want to use the date to remind anyone in need that the Samaritans are there for them during their darkest hours, including over Christmas and New Year.
Several county council buildings including the Shire Hall Gallery in Stafford will be lit up green and we're inviting individuals, organisations and businesses to join us by displaying a light in their window.
Last year, Samaritans volunteers responded to 244,254 calls in the UK and Ireland over the festive period and this year volunteers in Staffordshire will be there round-the-clock to make sure people who are struggling always have someone to turn to.
We want individuals, organisations, businesses and attractions to join us to increase awareness that the Samaritans Support Line is always open.
- On Wednesday 21 December show a green light in your window at home. Please be safe and only use LED candles.
- Post a photo of your light on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with this message: Anyone can contact Samaritans free any time from any phone, even from a mobile without credit. Call 116 123.
- Use the hashtag #LightTheNightStaffs or email your pictures to Emma.
- If you own or look after a Staffordshire landmark, attraction or building and want to join us to illuminate Staffordshire green on 21st December please email Sarah to discuss.
Pop in to your nearest Staffordshire Library to collect a free LED green light and poster.
Samaritans offer emotional support to anyone in need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
You don’t have to be suicidal to ring Samaritans. Many people call because they are stressed, depressed, anxious, bereaved, lonely or struggling with everyday life.
Anyone can contact Samaritans for free, any time, from any phone - even from a mobile without credit.
Call 116 123
This number won’t show up on your phone bill.
We publish a list of organisations across Staffordshire offering support with mental health.
Support lines include:
- North Staffordshire urgent mental health helpline: 0800 0 328 728 option 1 (covers Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs Moorlands)
- South Staffordshire urgent mental health helpline: 0808 196 3002 (covers Stafford, Stone, Rugeley, Cannock, South Staffs, Lichfield, Burton, Uttoxeter, Tamworth)
Want to help others?
Find out about our TalkSuicide campaign and our free training.