What is his role?
As the Chief Executive of Staffordshire County Council, John is Head of Paid Service and manages the day-to-day running of the council on behalf of our Councillors.
John leads our staff to achieve our three priority outcomes:
- be able to access more good jobs and feel the benefits of economic growth;
- be healthier and more independent;
- feel safer, happier and more supported in and by their community.
What experience does he have?
John Henderson joined us as Chief Executive in May 2015 following a career in the British Army. His last appointment was as a Major General commanding the British Forces in Germany. John was appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in the 2014 New Year Honours.
John grew up in Perth, before studying Mechanical Engineering at Heriot-Watt University. He has also studied at the Joint Services Staff College, the Royal College of Defence Studies, and at Cranfield University.
John's military service has been mostly overseas in support services leadership roles: over 15 years in Germany, and also in Belgium, the United States and the UK. He has been privileged to command four times on operations: in Bosnia; in Iraq; and twice in Afghanistan.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport. He is a keen linguist, almost native in German, fluent in French, and workable in a number of other European and Middle Eastern languages. He retains a non-executive role in the Army.
John’s direct reports are:
- Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Corporate Services – John Tradewell
- Director of Economy, Infrastructure and Skills – Darryl Eyers
- Director of Health and Care – Dr Richard Harling
- Director of Children and Families - Neelam Bhardwaja