Recycling centres (tips) overview
To view details, including opening times, about your nearest recycling centre, select a location from the related content menu.
Changes to the Household Waste Recycling centres
What are the changes?
- Only accepting commercial (trade) waste from Staffordshire registered businesses only from 5 June 2023. Commercial (trade) waste disposal charges will still apply.
- Introducing permits for Staffordshire residents using a van / trailer to dispose of their household waste from September 2023
From the 5th of June 2023 all Staffordshire Household Waste Recycling Centres will only be accepting commercial (trade) waste from Staffordshire registered businesses only. All Staffordshire commercial (trade) waste visitors will be required to provide a copy of their waste carriers licence and business address before disposing of waste. Commercial (trade) waste disposal charges will still apply.
From September 2023, Staffordshire residents will require a van permit to visit one of the 14 Household Waste recycling Centres when disposing of household waste.
The permit will allow you 12 visits per year in your van.
You will not need a permit for a car, visits in a car are unlimited.
You will be able to apply for a van permit online. The website will be updated in August 2023 with details of how you can apply. Once you get to the site you will need to present your permit to the staff on site.
A detailed list of vehicles requiring a permit to visit any Staffordshire HWRC will be available shortly.
Planning your visit
What can I do to minimise journeys to the recycling centre?
- When buying new products, check if the company offers a ‘take-back’ scheme where your old products will be taken away for disposal or refurbishment.
- Some online community swap, donate and second-hand networks have re-opened; check online for selling and donating good quality used items to people in your local area.
Be prepared for your visit
Before you visit.
- Where possible, please separate your waste into different waste types and safely organise within your vehicle. These measures will help limit waiting times, enabling you to progress through the site more easily.
- Separate your waste into different waste types and safely organise within your vehicle to make it easier to unload and dispose of once it is your turn.
When you arrive
- If queuing to access the recycling centre, please ensure your vehicle is not obstructing access for emergency services at any time and turn off your engine whilst queueing.
What will happen inside the recycling centre?
- On entering the site, please observe all signage including the speed limit.
- Wherever possible site staff will assist with heavier items.
- Remember children and animals must not exit the vehicle at any time on the site for safety reasons.
Contacting your recycling centre
All enquiries are dealt with by Staffordshire County Council's recycling team. Please complete this form for assistance from the recycling team.
You can also contact us with any enquiries by calling us on 0300 111 8000
Contact the Recycling Team
Policies for the usage of Household Waste Recycling Centres