Libraries have always been great places to go. They are free, safe and impartial spaces, where everyone is welcome.
We have many roles for volunteers to work with us, making a difference to their local communities.
How do I join?
The quickest and easiest way is to apply onine.
Alternatively you can apply in the library by going to the main desk.
Each of our libraries provides the following services:
- Free books, eBooks, eMagazines, and eAudio
- Free space and support for reading groups
- Author events
- Our libraries are vital in encouraging children to read for pleasure, which can have a huge impact on their future prospects.
- The Summer Reading Challenge is an exciting annual reading activity for children available at every library.
- Our libraries hold a wide range of events for children, such as Baby Bounce and Rhyme.
Health and Wellbeing
- Find help to access correct and up-to-date health information, through our Books on Prescription scheme, and through high quality websites and books
- Find health-related activities and events
- We often provide a lifeline for vulnerable people, helping them to feel connected and socially active, and can even take books to them in their own homes.
- Our libraries hold social activities, such as Knit & Natter, poetry groups, and coffee mornings.
- Free internet access and support to use IT.
- Free WiFi
- Join the library, reserve items, renew items, and search the catalogue online
- Introductory IT courses
- Support to access online information about jobseeking, finance, and health
- Information on starting a business and signposting to organisations that can help
- Family history resources such as Ancestry
- Local Studies collections
- Bus pass applications can be made from County Council managed libraries
- Free resources for study and learning, such as online resources and courses, and reference books.
- Information about a range of free and low cost learning opportunities local to you, such as courses and study groups.
- Opportunities to explore and be creative, including workshops, activity groups and special events for all ages.