Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

Street furniture

Street furniture refers to a variety of objects or features that are present in public spaces. The below is not a definitive or complete guide but can be used to help you identify who is responsible if you notice a problem with street furniture.

Problems such as damaged or missing furniture can be caused by accidents, vandalism or general wear and tear.

In all cases, if ownership is unclear or if the problem poses an imminent risk to the safety of public highway users, this should be reported to ourselves

Who is responsible for the different types of street furniture?

Street furnitureWho is responsible?
Bollards, pedestrian guard rails, cycle stands, safety barriers, traffic lights, lit and unlit traffic signs, street lights, salt bins, milestones and finger posts. Staffordshire County Council
Street name plates, litter and dog waste bins, benches, information boards, and flowerbeds. District and borough councils
Seats and benches, planters and baskets, village noticeboards, monuments, and village signs. Parish councils
Telephone poles, phone boxes, mobile phone masts, manholes and fire hydrants. Utility companies are usually responsible for their apparatus on the highway but if ownership is unclear or the problem poses an imminent risk to safety then the matter can be reported to Staffordshire County Council.
Bus stops These might be maintained by Staffordshire County Council or the local district/borough or parish council, reports can be made online and we will establish who is responsible.

How do I report damaged or missing street furniture?

The easiest way to report an issue is online. If we are responsible for the item, we will assess the damage and risk. If there's an immediate hazard, we will make it safe as soon as possible and arrange repairs. If the apparatus belongs to a third party, such as a utility company, we will issue a defect notice to the owner.

Mirrors and a-boards

For information relating to our policies towards mirrors and a-boards, please visit our objects on the highway page.

There are no results that match your search criteria