Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

Employer's liability insurance

If you choose to employ a personal assistant (PA) to provide your care and support needs, you will be the ‘employer’ and must purchase employers liability insurance.

This is a legal requirement and protects you as the employer, as well as your employee(s).

The insurance provider will assist you with:

  • support around employment related issues
  • cover against employee accidents at work


What type of cover do I need?  Back to top

We recommend that you take out employers liability insurance with additional benefits, such as:
  • employment support (including redundancy)
  • employment tribunals
  • 24 hour helplines for health and safety and other employment matters

We will pay up to £90 towards purchasing your insurance policy (you do not need to use your own funds).



Who can provide the type of cover that I need?  Back to top

It's up to you which provider you decide to use, but we have negotiated special rates with three companies for their top cover for direct payment clients. They will give you the additional benefits mentioned above. These companies are:

To contact one of these companies to arrange cover:

Fish Insurance

Fish Insurance video

Mark Bates Insurance

Surewise Insurance

Customers must quote "staffscountycouncil" or visit their website in order to get a 10% discount.



What isn't covered by employer's liability insurance?  Back to top

It is always best to check your policy for the levels and detail of cover. Ask your insurance provider what is included if you are not sure. Insurance policies do vary, but employer's liability insurance does not usually include the following items, so you will need to make other arrangements to ensure that you are protected as the employer for these things:

Car insurance during working hours

  • Are the right people named on any cars used?
  • Is there business cover on any cars used?

Buildings and/or contents insurance

  • Are your belongings in your home adequately insured?

  • Is the building insured?

These additional costs will need to be purchased privately.


Contact us  Back to top

General enquiries

For more information and general enquiries about employing a personal assistant please contact Staffordshire Cares.

Skills for Care

Another useful resource is Skills for Care who provide practical tools and support to help adult social care organisations in England recruit, develop and lead their workforce:

There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest social care and health news

Customers of Working Men's Club Urged to Get Tested After Covid-19 Outbreak

Customers who visited a Cannock social club are being urged to get tested for Covid-19 after an outbreak – whether they have symptoms or not.
23 October 2020

New ways for people to access support to help them stay independent

People in Staffordshire who need advice and support to help them stay independent for longer can now access help in their local communities.
20 October 2020

Residents Urged To Act Now To Help Stop Covid Alert Level Rising

Residents and businesses across South Staffordshire are being warned the area could face tougher Covid-19 measures, unless the spread of infection is curbed.
15 October 2020

Young people helping promote coronavirus guidance

Young people across Staffordshire are working with the county council on a new drive to raise awareness of Covid-19 and highlight the difference they can make by helping to tackle the pandemic.
15 October 2020

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom