Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

Managing paperwork and finances


Can you manage your day-to-day paperwork without help? This includes things such as benefits paperwork and correspondence such as GP and hospital letters?


Can you manage your finances without help? There are many things to consider as you start to prepare for later life and it's good to start by reviewing your finances.


 Top tips

Keep saving

Saving is important at any age. But the younger we start, the greater we benefit from investment returns. If you need care in the future, most people will have to pay towards it so it is important to have money in the bank to help contribute.

Check whether you're entitled to any benefits

You might be able to get benefits like:

Make reading paper work and writing as easy as possible

If you find it difficult to read letters consider using a magnifier to enlarge the print. Reachers and/or grabbers can help you to pick post up off the floor, pen holders can help you to grip when writing and a signature guard can help keep your hand steady. Our equipment page has lots of other examples that you can use.

Make sure your carer has the support they need

If the person who helps look after you is a relative, friend or neighbour, our carers page has lots of top tips and information about support that they can also access.



Frequently asked questions   Back to top


These registered charities have debt advisers who can give you free, confidential debt advice:

  • Age UK has lots of advice on ways to save money and manage your finances.

  • Citizens Advice offers help face-to-face, by telephone or by email.

  • Debt Advice Foundation provides free debt advice and support through its helpline (0800 043 40 50) and website.

  • National Debtline provides advice over the telephone (0808 808 4000), online and by email. They can send you a free self-help information pack.

  • My Money Steps is a free online debt advice service run by National Debtline. You can develop your personal action plan to help manage your money and deal with debts.

  • StepChange Debt Charity provides advice over the telephone (0800 138 111) or online via its debt remedy advice tool, providing a personal action plan and a recommendation of available solutions for dealing with debts.
There are many ways you can insulate your home to help save you money on your heating bills, such as closing your curtains at dusk to help stop heat escaping through the windows.

Switching your energy supplier

To help with costs you may want to consider switching your energy supplier. You could potentially save a lot of money, particularly if you have never switched before. Beat the Cold can help you find the best deals and offer advice energy efficiency in your home.


You may also want to explore what benefits you are entitled too, such as the:

Try using Entitled to benefits calculator to find out what else you could be entitled to.

Water bills

Unlike gas and electricity companies, you can only be supplied by your regional water company. So, you can't switch suppliers, but there are ways to reduce your bills.


Every library in Staffordshire has computers available for free that anyone can use. You can use the library computers to access the internet and email accounts. Some of the libraries also have IT buddies who can help you with using the computer and navigating websites.

The Community Learning Service  also run a variety of beginner and follow-on computer classes that can help improve your digital skills.

Do you need help to legally manage the financial and property affairs of a family member or friend who lacks mental capacity?

The Staffordshire County Council Deputyship Team was established in 2003 to ensure that vulnerable adults who lack the mental capacity to manage their financial and property affairs are protected from exploitation and wherever possible empowered to utilise their resources in accordance with their wishes, beliefs and lifestyles. The Team are able to arrange and administer Court of Protection Deputyship Orders for Property & Affairs where it is deemed that the person is incapable of doing so themselves as defined by Section 1 of the Mental Health Act 1983 and the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

More information about this support is available on our preparing for old age webpage.

Available packages

Application package

A packaged service to prepare and submit an application for deputyship on behalf of a relative or friend of a person who lacks mental capacity. This £944 service (based on the Ministry of Justice fixed costs policy for work to obtain deputyship court order) includes: 

  • Initial discussion to ascertain type of order required
  • Explain deputyship role and process
  • Meet and liaise with family
  • Prepare and submit application
  • Receive court order
  • Provide support and guidance with implementing court order

Alternative support

We can apply to the Court of Protection to appoint Staffordshire County Council as deputy to manage the financial and property affairs of people who lack mental capacity following a social work assessment of need, mental capacity assessment and best interest decision. As local authority deputy we would ensure a person’s affairs are managed in their best interests in line with the Mental Capacity Act 2005. This service is intended for people who feel unable to take on the role of deputy themselves with a termination fee of £350 + VAT. Our fees for ongoing management are set out below.

Fees and charges

Fees as set out by the Court of Protection from 1st April 2024

For Clients where Local Authority have been appointed as Deputy

Work up to issue of Court Order – Fixed Fee


Management Fees First Year if capital over £20,300


Management Fees First Year if capital under £20,300

3.5% of Capital

Annual Return – Fixed Fee


2nd Year and thereafter unless capital under £20,300


2nd Year and thereafter if capital under £20,300

3.5% of Capital

Property Management Fee – fixed fee


Travel Costs

£40 per hour

HMRC Income Tax Return (Basic-bank or NSI interest, taxable benefits) (Complex- bank or NSI interest, taxable benefits, small investment portfolio)

Basic - £89

Complex - £140

Appointeeship Fee Capital up to £7428     


Appointeeship Fee Capital over £7428

3.5% of Capital 




Fee for work related to death of service user including preparing positon statement and handover of property to be charged on anniversary of death until case closed

£350 + VAT = £420

Death – pro rata management fee from date of last fee up to date of death. If application submitted but Order not received, then full Application Fee up to Court Order is charged.

Death – Allpay card fee also added to invoice if applicable

as calculated No VAT


£44.00 no VAT

Health & Welfare Deputy – Annual Management Fee

2.5% of Capital to max of £703 No VAT

Contact us

Deputyship Team
2 Staffordshire Place
Tipping Street
ST16 2DH

Phone: 01785 895670

Email: deputyship@staffordshire.gov.uk 


Further information   Back to top

You may find these pages helpful:

What's available in my local area?

If you are looking for help with managing your paper work and finances our directory website Staffordshire Connects can help you. There are pages on:

Staffordshire Cares

If you need support with managing you paper and finances and wish to to discuss this in more detail you can:


#DoingOurBit – What one thing can you do?

Doing our bit logo

You can help an older family member, friend or neighbour by making sure they are paying their bills, helping them to get cash out of the bank, or giving them a hand to set up an online bank account.


There are no results that match your search criteria