Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

Carers' assessments

Commonly asked questions


A Carer's Assessment is designed to look specifically at you and your needs as a carer.  You can choose to be assessed on your own or jointly with the person that you care for.  An adult carer's assessment can take place over the telephone or face to face (for example in your own home or in another location such as a cafe) if you prefer.  

For a young carer's assessment, please see the Young Carers page. 

It will look at the different ways in which caring affects your life and what support you might need to continue in that role.  We will consider whether your needs are eligible under the Care Act, and if they are, you will be offered a support plan.  This could include agreed actions such as referrals to other services like Occupational Therapy for information about equipment that might help you in your caring role, access to benefits advice and / or support from our Staffordshire Together for Carers service.  We also have a duty to provide personalised information and advice to meet any needs which are not eligible for funded support.

The Care Act 2014 gives more emphasis on the needs of carers. This law means that more carers will be able to have a carers assessment.

Many carers manage perfectly well without a Carer's Assessment. If you would like some other assistance, we have information about what support is available to you.

The Care Act relates mostly to adult carers, people over 18, who are caring for another adult. This is because young carers and adults who care for disabled children can be assessed and supported under children’s law.

However, the act means that whole family circumstances will be looked at when assessing the needs of an adult for care. This means, for example, making sure that the position of a young carer will not be overlooked. The Children and Families Act gives young carers similar rights to an assessment as other carers under the Care Act.

An adult caring for a disabled child can get support through children’s services.


Carers of all ages can contact the County Council for a Carer's Assessment. Young Carers have their own dedicated telephone number should they wish to speak to a Young Carer's Assessor.

Adult Carers: 0300 111 8010

Young Carers: 01785 278444

Referrals: firstcontactcarers@staffordshire.gov.uk

Online: Self-assessment

If the person you are looking after receives, or may need, support from social care, then you can ask to have a joint assessment of your needs.


The Care Act introduced the national eligibility threshold for carers where they can be eligible for support in their own right.  In considering whether a carer has eligible needs, local authorities must consider whether:

  • the needs arise as a consequence of providing necessary care for an adult
  • the carers are providing care which is likely to have a negative impact upon their physical or emotional wellbeing and prevent them achieving the outcomes listed in the Care Act
  • as a result, is there, or is there likely to be, a significant impact on the carers wellbeing.

A carer’s needs are only eligible for support where they meet all three of these conditions. However, carers do not need to meet this eligibility criteria to access the Staffordshire Together for Carers Service.

It is our duty to carry out an assessment of your needs, at your request, free of charge.  As part of this assessment we will assess your eligibility for support. The Staffordshire Together for Carers Service delivers support to Carers free of charge and can be contacted directly without an assessment.


Still not sure what you need?  

If you would rather talk to someone about this, please either:

There are no results that match your search criteria