If you have been refused a place at your preferred Staffordshire school and you are dissatisfied with the school place offered you have the right to lodge a formal appeal against this decision to an Independent Appeals Panel.
There are two types of appeal:
- Ordinary – For all Secondary and Middle Schools and some Primary schools
- Infant Class Size – For Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in Primary schools where a place has been refused as, by law, the class may not contain more than 30 children with a single qualified teacher. For further guidance please read this information.
Note: There is no right of appeal for admission to a maintained nursery.
The FAQ’s explains the appeals process in detail. Please ensure that you read this before appealing
- If you are appealing for a reception, year 1 or year 2 place we suggest that you research ‘infant class size initiative’ so you are aware of the restrictions or take a look at our guidance
- You can only appeal for a place if you have had a refusal. If you have not received a school offer, please speak to the Admissions team on 0300 111 8007 who will be able to tell you which schools may have availability in your area
- We recommend you take a look at the Admission Policy for the school you are appealing for so you are familiar with their admissions criteria – these can usually be found by visiting Admissions or the school’s website
- Waiting lists – for information on where you child is on the waiting list, please contact the Admissions Team on 0300 111 8007
- All correspondence concerning your appeal will be sent via email so please make sure that the email address you give us is for an account that you have access to and monitor
- You will be given 10 school days’ notice of your appeal date – if you have chosen to attend the appeal, the email will also include a time, location and a map
- Start to gather any supporting information you would like the Independent Appeal Panel to see and submit either with your appeal form or by no later than 4 clear working days before your appeal date
- We will send you a statement from the relevant admission authority as to why the refusal was made one week in advance of your appeal date
- Decisions are sent within 5 working days of the appeal date. We are not able to give the outcome over the telephone.
- Should you wish to withdraw your appeal at any point, you will need to notify us in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For further information on appeals for the School Admissions and Transport Service please call 0300 111 8007
Please note that you will need to complete one form per school appealed.
Submit your appeal using our online form.
Alternatively you can complete the form below:
For further information on how we collect, use and store your personal information, please take a look at our privacy notice.