Staffordshire County Council Trading Standards are responsible for enforcing a wide range of legislation relating to the supply and distribution of goods and services.
Support for local businesses
View information on animal health
Get advice on petroleum
Apply for fireworks/explosive licence
Search the trader register
Trading Standards cases in the media
- From April 2017 alcohol retailers will be legally obliged to check their supplier is HMRC approved. Failure to do so could result in criminal or civil penalties with new hefty fines up to £10,000 as well as confiscation of goods. Staffordshire Trading Standards who regularly investigation the sale of illicit alcohol is advising licensed venues to make sure they only buy their alcohol from accredited wholesales or face a hefty fine.
- Tuesday 25th April 2017
- Staffordshire Trading Standards would like to make local farmers and landowners aware of a scam targeting rural businesses which could leave them with large clean-up costs. Rogue traders undertaking tarmac work in Lincolnshire have been dumping landfill waste on farmers land, leaving them with the liability and clean-up costs of up to £300,000 for cash-in hand work.
- Wednesday 19th April 2017
- People are being urged to be vigilant and avoid buying counterfeit goods if they're heading to one of Staffordshire's Easter bank holiday markets or car boot sales.
- Tuesday 11th April 2017
- Over a quarter of a million counterfeit and illicit cigarettes and 56kg hand rolling tobacco with street value of around £150,000 were seized in Staffordshire in 2016/17 by the county council's Trading Standards team.
- Tuesday 4th April 2017
- Thousands of illicit cigarettes and a quantity of hand rolling tobacco were seized from a Stafford shop yesterday (29/03/2017). Staffordshire County Council Trading Standards Officers, aided by a sniffer dog, raided the shop in addition to two residential properties. The premises were targeted as part of an intelligence-led operation to tackle illicit tobacco sales.
- Thursday 30th March 2017