National Speed Awareness Course
What is the National Speed Awareness Course?
This theory only course aims to educate drivers, rather than punish them for exceeding the speed limit. You will learn how to identify speed limits, the consequences of speeding, the benefits of sticking to the speed limit, and how to avoid speeding again.
There is no police involvement in the course, and you will not have to pass a test or undertake any driving.
Who is the course for?
If you have exceeded the posted speed limit anywhere except on a smart motorway but remain within certain parametres and have not taken the same course in the three years before your most recent speeding offence.
You cannot self-refer to this scheme and you can only go on this course if you have had a police letter giving you the choice to attend.
How is the course delivered?
The National Speed Awareness course is available in two formats – a classroom-based course or an online course using Zoom.
The 2 hours and 45 minutes National Speed Awareness Course will be delivered online via Zoom by Staffordshire County Council. Clients will:
- need access to a device (computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone) with microphone and camera with reliable internet connection capable of streaming video.
- Smartphones may be used; however, the course will be far more effective if you have a larger screen.
- You will need to be in a private room, alone without disturbances.
- You must engage in the course throughout - clients must not switch off their webcam, leave the course or have other members of the household in the room with them (unless previously agreed).
- Clients should give their full attention to the course and not be distracted.
- To assist and to ensure that you successfully join your course, please view our online digital course information page for additional information.
Currently there are 3 locations available to do the course, these courses are subject to availability. The course duration is 2 hours and 45 mins and is delivered by 2 presenters. The current venues available are:
Staffordshire Wildlife Trust Headquarters, The Wolseley Centre, Wolseley Bridge, Stafford ST17 0WT
Wolseley Centre Map
Chasewater Country Park, Pool Road, Brownhills, Staffordshire WS8 7NL
Chasewater Country Park Map
Heath House Training and Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire ST14 7BY
Heath House Map
How much does it cost?
The course currently costs £85, but once you have completed the course, there will be no further action taken for the speeding offence (you don’t have to pay the fine, and you don’t get points on your licence).
What do I need to attend?
You must bring with you either:
- The new style photo card licence (providing it is valid).
- The old-style paper licence issued before 1998, with another form of valid photo ID (e.g. Passport, Bus Pass or Citizencard).
If you don't provide suitable ID on your course, you will be refused entry and your file will be returned to the police. You will not receive a refund.
How do I book a place?
To book your place on-line in Staffordshire please visit the NDORS website.
You can book an online digital course regardless of which police force in the UK offered you a course - just choose 'Staffordshire' when you are booking your course online.
You can book or re-arrange courses online by accessing your police record.
Watch a useful video on how to book a course online (5 minutes).
If you have any additional needs regarding these courses please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below to discuss further.
For more information please contact us on:
Telephone: 0300 111 8012
View our terms and conditions
Online National Speed Awareness Course - British sign language
If you require a National Speed Awareness Course in British Sign Language (BSL), this is available by DriveSafe. The course is presented online by a Deaf Trainer using Zoom.
BSL National Speed Awareness Courses are currently available by DriveSafe on:
- Tuesday 1 November 2022, 12:00pm- 14:45pm
- Tuesday 6 December 2022, 9:15am-12:00pm
To book your course please email DriveSafe direct via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch DriveSafe’s BSL video to prepare for your online course.