Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button. No, give me more info

Dropped kerb enforcement

Where kerbs have been lowered to facilitate a vehicle entering or leaving the highway via a vehicle access crossing (VAC), or to create a crossing point to assist pedestrians, cyclists or wheelchair users to cross the road, then under the Traffic Management Act 2004, it is illegal to park a vehicle adjacent to these dropped kerbs. Civil enforcement officers (CEO) will issue penalty charge notices (PCNs) against vehicles parked in a manner that prevents the use of a dropped kerb crossing point.

Where the dropped kerb facilitates a VAC, the written consent of the property occupier is required for enforcement action to be taken, however in the case of a VAC that is shared between two or more properties, enforcement action can be undertaken without property occupier consent. Once written permission to enforce against a VAC is provided, any vehicle parked in a manner that prevents the use of the VAC will be issued with a PCN, including any vehicle belonging to the property occupier. This enforcement action will be undertaken for a period of 12 months following which a further application / consent will be required from the property occupier for this enforcement action to continue.

Access protection markings (APMs) are advisory road markings which are sometimes used to identify VAC’s, the presence of APM’s should provide a clear indication to other road users that the VAC is in regular use and they should not park their vehicle in a manner that obstructs the VAC.

Enforcement of dropped kerb crossing points is not a reactive service, CEO's movements follow pre-determined patrol routes and they cannot simply deviate from these routes upon request, however your location will be included within future patrol routes.

Request enforcement of your dropped kerb

If you are a property occupier whom is finding that your vehicle access crossing (VAC) is being obstructed by parked vehicles on a regular basis, you can request enforcement online.

Request a vehicle access crossing (VAC)

A property owner can request a VAC.

Request an access protection marking (APM)

A property owner with a VAC can request an APM.

There are no results that match your search criteria