Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

What happens next if you agree my child is eligible for travel assistance?

If we agree your child is eligible for assistance, we will contact you as soon as possible to advise how that assistance will be provided. It may take up to 20 working days after we agree to provide assistance before it can be put in place.

Assistance may be in the form of -

  • a mileage payment or personal travel budget (if so, we will write to you and advise the amounts and how it should be claimed/paid)
  • a pass to use public transport
  • a pass for council arranged transport

Note:  if a travel pass is issued, this may be valid for more than one academic year – please check the expiry date of the pass and keep using it until then. Please note the Council’s normal practice is to add and remove students from vehicles without consultation with parents.

School transport team contact details

If you have any queries or concerns regarding transport reliability, operational irregularities or behaviour on the vehicle, please use the Contact us form or call us on 01785 895024


Sign up to text alerts to receive information about your child’s home to school transport

If your child is attending a Staffordshire school, you can sign up to receive free texts alerts for home to school transport, please register your details with our customer alerts service. Please remember to select the school your child attends.


There are no results that match your search criteria