Resources for home education
The Elective Home Education team thought that it may be useful for parents who are educating their children at home for the first time to have a short list of resources that may be useful. It is by no means an exhaustive list - simply a starting place.
We do not recommend that parents subscribe or buy everything on this list, have a look and see what is suitable for you and your family.
Disclaimer: "We" (Staffordshire County Council) are not responsible for the content of third party websites. It is recommended that you always check with providers that their service or organisation meets your requirements. We offer an impartial service and we cannot recommend or endorse any providers listed.
CPG and Letts both have workbooks in English and maths (and other curriculum areas) for all key stages. We would recommend buying study books/skills books as well as workbooks. The study books/skills books explain concepts and methods which makes them very useful to refer to if your children are finding something difficult.
- CGP Books - also have some free resources online.
- Letts Revision - also currently providing some free resources online.
- BBC Bitesize - all key stages and post 16. All curriculum areas.
- BBC Teach - provides curriculum mapped videos for all ages.
- Literacy Shed - has videos to provide stimulus for a variety of writing tasks. Also, a brief list of writing ideas for each video.
- Khan Academy - maths videos. US based.
- National Numeracy - for children 4-11 years.
Subscription but with some free resources
- Twinkl - all curriculum areas. Currently have a Coronavirus home learning support page and are offering free resources. Mainly KS1 & 2 but may have some resources for older learners.
- Teach It Englisg - also has a Coronavirus support page with free resources until April 2020. Mainly for secondary pupils.
- Hamilton Trust - some free resources in English, maths, topic and science. Offers planning as well as resources. Mainly for primary, although there is a KS3 numeracy section.
- Literacy Shed Plus - sister site to literacy shed. Has videos to provide stimulus for writing but has more detailed planning than its sister site.