Children missing from education
In Staffordshire we are concerned about any child or young person living in our county who may be missing education, as it might not be just their educational development at risk but also their safety and wellbeing.
There are many reasons why children can be missing or appear to be missing education. Some never start school when they reach the statutory age, others simply disappear without anyone advising the present school of a destination and some fail to register with a new school when they move into the county.
Children missing education are...
- children whose whereabouts are known but they do not have any educational provision in place
- children whose whereabouts are unknown and therefore so is their educational provision
They are not ...
- children who are on a school roll. If a child is not attending their registered school or education provider, the Local Support Team relevant to where the child lives should be contacted.
- children who are being educated at home.
- children whose parents have applied for a school place where the application is going through normal admissions procedures.
How can I help you?
Children missing education (CME) - if you know or suspect a child is missing from education, please let us know straight away. Checks are always carried out before contacting parents or carers, so it is always better to advise us if you are in any doubt.
You can contact the team by email, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. By notifying us of your concerns you are helping to ensure the safety and wellbeing of some of the most vulnerable children in our community and your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Professionals and agencies who have concerns about a child who may be missing education are kindly requested to complete the referral form.
CME Referral Form
Schools who have information to suggest that a child has left the UK are requested to complete a child left UK notification form for school use below. This will then allow us to make the necessary enquiries to establish that the child is receiving an education.
CME Left UK Referral Form
Non CME - schools who remove pupils from roll due to following reasons:
should complete an 'Informing Local Authority a pupil has been removed from roll' form which should then be sent to email@example.com
Who to contact
Children Missing Education
Staffordshire County Council
Education Welfare Service Duty:
Please see the resources below: