Staffordshire County Council strategic plan
We have an important role to play in supporting the priority outcomes in the Staffordshire County Council strategic plan.
Community learning priorities 2019-23
Community Learning and Commissioning Strategy (748 KB)
Equality and inclusion
Widen participation in learning and promote social inclusion across Staffordshire.
Identify and work with the right delivery partners that will enable us to determine relevant and targeted programmes, to ensure that the needs of our learners are always put first.
Prioritise and target delivery to those that are the furthest away from accessing education and activities that will have the most impact in order to provide accessible learning pathways.
Workforce and employability
Embed employability skills throughout all curriculum pathways to support individuals to up-skill and re-skill in order to gain and improve employment opportunities.
Responsive and flexible
Be responsive to a fast-changing environment and offer flexibility to change direction if required. Delivery will be prioritised and located in areas where learners want to learn and within local communities.
Quality of provision
Ensure that all programmes are of the highest quality to provide all learners with the very best opportunities to fulfil their full potential.
All programmes are to align with demand and local, and national priorities whilst providing innovative curriculum capitalising on digital technologies.
To improve the learner journey, from recruitment and admission to achievement and progression in learning and beyond, supporting positive outcomes for all.
How we will achieve our vision and priorities
- To extend the reach, quality and impact of adult education in Staffordshire.
- Provide employability provision that supports individuals to up-skill and re-skill to gain and improve employment opportunities.
- Provide english and maths programmes where an unmet demand is identified.
- Provide learning opportunities which will prepare learners to entre or re-engage with the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) sector.
- Provide programmes of english for speakers of other languages to overcome language and cultural barriers.
- Provide community learning programmes that supports parents with child development, behaviour and family cohesion to improve outcomes for children, young people educational attainment of families in target communities.
- Provide targeted community learning programmes promoting health and wellbeing that support people to take responsibility to become healthier and more independent.
- Provide learning opportunities for those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities and/or mental ill health.
- Provide learning opportunities that supports individuals to utilise digital technologies in their everyday lives.
- To improve the learner journey, from recruitment and admission to progression in learning and beyond, supporting positive outcomes for all.
Impact of community learning
Active citizenship, democracy and participation
People who participate in adult education have more trust in the policitical system, participate more in society, by voting, by volunteering or taking active roles in communities.
Life skills for individuals
Adult learners feel healthier, lead healthier lifestyles, build new social networks and experience improved well-being.
Social cohesion, equity and equality
Adult education provides many opportunities to equalise societies on a larger scale and to create fairer societies as well as more economic growth.
Migration and demographic change
Civic education and intercultural learning can create integration-friendly cultures. Language and basic skills training will enable active citizenship. Individuals will be more active, volunteer more, work longer and are healthier.
From environmentally friendly consumption and transport to energy efficiency, citizens need a lot of information and innovation to develop new lifestyles, new projects, and new approaches. Adult education can help provide the information, the debate spaces and the creativity.
The impact of community learning supports our key enablers to ensure we deliver the best possible outcomes for our citizens.