Admission to primary and middle schools September 2023 entry
You need to apply for September 2023:
- if your child's fifth birthday is between 1 September 2023 and 31 August 2024 for a place at first, infant or primary school
- if your child will be in year 2 at an infant school in September 2022 for a junior or primary school
- if you child will be in year 4 at a first school in September 2022 for a place at middle or primary school
See the timetable for key dates in the process.
If you are moving to Staffordshire from abroad, please see the information on moving from overseas.
If you want to apply to change schools during the academic year, or your child does not currently have a school place, please see the information on in-year admissions.
Our online search and compare tool will help you to find information about your nearest schools, including performance information, teacher/pupil ratios and much more.
You can also find information on:
- how places were allocated for September 2020, 2021 and 2022 entry
For information on open days or evenings at first, infant, junior or primary schools please contact the schools directly.
Please see the timeline below which includes important points to consider prior to making your application.
The application system will open on 1 November 2022. You should only use this system if your child lives in Staffordshire.
Applications will close on 15 January 2023.
- Last year there were over 250 late applications. This may have affected the outcome of these applications.
- The late application policy (detailed in the published admission arrangements) will apply to those applications made after the closing date.
Applications sent to and received from other local authorities.
Application details and supporting documentation sent to academies, aided and foundation schools.
Academies, aided and foundations schools forward lists of all preferences ranked in accordance with their admission arrangements to the county council.
Provisional offers shared between local authorities.
Final offers exchanged between local authorities.
Parents receive outcomes on National Offer Day, 17 April 2023.
April - August
Processing of late applications and any available places allocated from waiting lists.
June - July
Appeals heard by independent appeal panels.
Making an application
The quickest and easiest way to apply is online.
You must apply through the local authority where your child lives not where your preferred schools are located.
What if I can't apply online or have a problem?
- call us on 0300 111 8007 and select the option for 'School Admissions and Transport'
As a last resort, you can complete the relevant paper application form but it really is better to apply online.
Please note: Application forms sent by post or via email will not receive an acknowledgement of receipt and you will not receive your school place offer by email on 17 April 2023.
You can then either:
School Admissions and Transport Service,
- or print out the form and post it to:
Staffordshire County Council,
1 Staffordshire Place,