Whole school procedures
The senior leadership team should ensure that:
- All staff are committed to supporting hearing impairment in school.
- Risk assessments are completed when required, for example for access to the building, school trips etc.
- School encourages and supports a team approach to support hearing impairment. In particular:
- Staff are given encouragement and opportunities to discuss concerns, problem solve and provide support both practically and emotionally to each other
- There are planned opportunities for key staff to share good practice with staff from other schools
- Senior staff actively promote and facilitate these networking and mentoring opportunities
- Key staff have attended initial Deaf AwarenessTraining delivered by a qualified Teacher of the Deaf. Other training is available from the HI service and other providers, such as the NDCS.
- Consideration is given to exam arrangements, for example pupils may need access to a live voice with visual access to lip reading cues when information is required to be listened to.