Review - Cognition and learning
Regular, usually termly, multidisciplinary reviews are needed to share information, review progress, evaluate interventions and make appropriate refinements.
The SENCo needs to consider the following when conducting reviews:
- all relevant adults (including parents/carers) need to be invited to the review and given notice to attend
- relevant school staff need to be actively involved in the review process so they can report on how interventions in and out of the classroom have been implemented and the progress that has been made.
- school staff need to have time to attend review meetings, whenever possible
- all relevant information needs to be available at the review, including:
- assessment of the child/young person's progress in the area of concern
- information about the adjustments that have been made in the classroom and their effectiveness
- information about how the individual intervention has been implemented including how often it took place, who delivered it and how engaged the child/young person was.
- any other updated information
- the child/young person needs to be actively involved in the review as appropriate to their age and developmental level.
At the review meeting the following needs to be discussed:
- How the additional support has been implemented - has the interventions been implemented as planned?
- What progress has the child/young person made in line with the outcomes that were set
There are a number of actions that could be concluded from the review:
- the child/young person has made accelerated progress and the level of support can be reduced to encourage more independence
- the child/young person has made expected progress and the level of support needs to continue
- the child/young person has not made expected progress and the intervention needs to be refined
- advice from specialist support services is required
If the outcome of the review meeting is that the school have exhausted their resources and significant concerns remain about the child/young person's needs and progress, an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan may be considered. Details of the criteria for the EHC needs assessment and requesting an EHC assessment using the EHC hub can be found be clicking the links here.