Expansion of Funded Childcare Places
The current funded childcare offer consists of:
- 2 year funded places for low income families - currently at 15 hours per week over 38 weeks
- 3 and 4 year old -Universal 15 hours per week over 38 weeks - which all age eligible children are entitled
- 3 and 4 year olds entitled to 30 hours - on top of the universal 15 hours, some working families are eligible for an extra 15 hours.
New Entitlements from April 2024
Starting from April 2024, funded childcare will be expanded in phases. By September 2025, most working families with children under the age of 5 will be entitled to 30 hours of childcare support.
The changes are being introduced gradually to make sure that providers can meet the needs of more families. The government roll out of the expansion is as follows:The changes are being introduced gradually to make sure that providers can meet the needs of more families. The government roll out of the expansion is as follows:
- From April 2024, working parents of 2-year-olds will be able to access 15 hours childcare support.
- From September 2024, 15 hours childcare support will be extended to working parents of children from the age of 9 months to 3-year-olds.
- From September 2025, working parents of children from 9 months will be entitled to 30 of funded childcare.
*Depending on your childcare provider, these hours could be used over 38 weeks of the year, or you could stretch funding across more weeks of the year but for fewer hours per week. Your chosen provider will advise.
More details coming soon.