Funded education for 3 and 4 year olds
When will my child be eligible?
The universal could be taken as 15 hours per week across 38 weeks of the year (or less hours per week across the whole year*). If your child is born between:
- 1 January - 31 March: funded places can start in the summer term (from 1 April)
- 1 April - 31 August: funded places can start in the autumn term (from 1 September)
- 1 September - 31 December: funded places can start in the spring term (from 1 January)
How do I claim a funded place?
- Contact your childcare provider.
- They will submit a claim on your behalf.
- The childcare provider is paid the funding directly. You do not receive any money or vouchers.
- The funded places are then deducted from your childcare bill.
For more information please check out our Frequently Asked Questions
Where are funded places available?
Your child can attend a childcare provider that is registered to provide funded places. Depending on availability.
- Day nurseries (private, voluntary, independent or school run)
- Pre-schools, playgroups and wraparound childcare (academy or governor run)
- School Nursery Classes
- Out of school care and holiday clubs
Find out more about the different childcare options in your area.
*parents must discuss with their chidlcare provider how hours can be taken.