Funded education for 3 and 4 year olds
When will my child be eligible?
The universal hours could be taken as 15 hours per week across 38 weeks of the year (or less hours per week across the whole year*) from the term after a child turns 3 years old. See when children become eligible:
- 1 January - 31 March: funding starts the summer term after turning 3 years old (from 1 April)
- 1 April - 31 August: funding starts the autumn term after turning 3 years old (from 1 September)
- 1 September - 31 December: funding starts the spring term after turning 3 years old (from 1 January)
How do I claim a funded place?
- Contact your childcare provider.
- They will submit a claim on your behalf.
- The childcare provider is paid the funding directly. You do not receive any money or vouchers.
- The funded places are then deducted from your childcare bill.
For more information please check out our Frequently Asked Questions
Where are funded places available?
Your child can attend a childcare provider that is registered to provide funded places. Depending on availability.
- Day nurseries (private, voluntary, independent or school run)
- Pre-schools, playgroups and wraparound childcare (academy or governor run)
- School Nursery Classes
- Some out of school care
Find out more about the different childcare options in your area.
*parents must discuss with their childcare provider how hours can be taken.