We use cookies on this site We and our partners use cookies and collect information from your browser. This lets us deliver content and relevant adverts to you. It also helps us to understand our audience better. See our privacy policy to learn more about how we manage your data and your rights. See our cookies policy to see how we use cookies and tracking technology. To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.
Homepage > Care for children and families > Families First > Families First service overview

Related content  


Families First service overview

Working at a local level

The Families First service works in a localised way with the key people needed to meet the needs of a community.

The service covers the whole of Staffordshire. We deliver it through 19 geographical patches spread across Staffordshire’s 8 districts.

Within each patch, services are primarily delivered through:

For further information please download the document below or get in touch with us.

Ensuring a co-ordinated response

We bring together all services that work with children, young people and families.

Level 3 - multiple needs

Who do you help?

Children who have many needs who may not maintain satisfactory health, development and/or learning. This may include children in need as defined by section 17 of the Children Act 1989.

Who can help?

Typical service response is carried out by local support teams.

Level 4 - acute needs

Who do you help?

Children in crisis, with complex, acute and often long term need, including:

  • Where parents refuse or are consistently not able to co-operate.
  • Children who have complex disabilities.
  • Parental resistance and lack of support mechanisms which results in children suffering or likely to be suffering significant harm.
  • Children who are offending and subject to a court order.
  • Children who have serious unmet enduring health, development and/or learning needs (including Children in Need as defined by section 17 of the Children Act 1989).

Who can help?

Typical service response - specialist services including:

Specialist services, supporting families with needs at level 4 are, in the main, provided by:


Get in touch

Local support teams

If you have any specific questions about the Families First service such as:

  • What does it mean for my organisation?
  • How can I get access to the support of your local support team?

Please contact your local support team co-ordinator.

Specialist safeguarding units

Concerned about a child that is already supported by a safeguarding social worker?

Please contact the relevant specialist safeguarding unit.

Reporting a safeguarding concern

Do you have a safeguarding concern where a child is suffering? Or are they at risk of suffering significant harm?

Please contact our First Response team immediately.


There are no results that match your search criteria

Share this information
  • facebook17
  • twitter17
  • intagram17
  • email17