Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it


In general an authority may revoke an approval if the holder has failed to comply with one or more conditions of the approval, or the use of structure of the premises has changed and the premises are no longer suitable for any proceedings. On deciding to revoke the approval the authority must deliver a notice in writing to the holder of the approval confirming its revocation.

The Registrar General for England and Wales may direct an authority to revoke an approval if she considers that there have been breaches of law relating to the proceedings on the approved premises. Before doing so the Registrar General must write to the holder of the approval stating the grounds on which she proposes that the approval should be revoked and providing the holder with a period of at least 14 days to make representations to her in writing. If, following consideration of any representations received, the Registrar General decides that the approval should be revoked he will direct the authority (in writing) to do so. The authority must then revoke the approval with immediate effect and notify the holder of the approval that it has done so.

When an approval has been revoked, the holder of the approval must immediately notify any couples who had arranged proceedings on those premises that this is the case. Whilst it is not their responsibility to do so, authorities may also ask the superintendent registrar or civil partnership registrar who has accepted a booking or been given a notice of marriage or civil partnership to notify the couple that the approval has been cancelled and the certificates or schedule for the proceedings will not be issued.

There are no results that match your search criteria