Bobbington, Six Ashes and Highgate Common Circular Walk
Please note: We are currently reviewing our walks publications, please refer to the text on this webpage for the most current route details we have. If you note any differences when following the route, please let us know by emailing: email@example.com
The walk begins in the old parish village of Bobbington before crossing traditional farmland with great views across South Staffordshire and into Shropshire. The walk takes you through the woodlands and heathlands at Highgate Common before passing the popular airfield at Halfpenny Green.
Distance: Long walk - approx. 12.8km (8 miles), short walk - approx. 7.2km (4.5 miles)
Duration: Long walk 4 hours, short walk 2.5 - 3 hours
Terrain: Easy paths, farmland and woodland
Parkland: The Red Lion pub. The landlord has given permission to park there, but please let him know. If the pub is closed please put a note in your windscreen
Refreshments: The Red Lion (Free House); The Six Ashes (Banks's); Six Ashes Tea Shop & Restaurant
Map: OS Explorer 218 “Wyre Forest, Kidderminster”
- Leave the Red Lion car park turning right heading up the road. Just after passing Holy Cross Church on the right cross the road and turn left down a path past the red post box. Join the grassy track here, passing between houses and then some farm pens on your right.
- Walk along the left hand boundary of the next field to bring you out on the perimeter of an even larger field. Head straight across the field and cross a stile by a gate, to the left of a telegraph pole. Immediately cross the stile on the right and follow the right hand edge of the field around to a footbridge.
- Cross the footbridge and then the stile by the steel post. Walk straight ahead along the fence for 50 metres and cross the stile on the right. Walk left for 20 metres and then where the fence bends round to the left, continue across the large field to the left of the protruding tree coppice, and climb the stile in the right hand corner.
- Cross the stile and then the field before reaching the road. Go over the stile and turn left up the road.
- Walk up the road for 200 metres passing a driveway on your left and a secluded house on your right before reaching a track. Go down the second track by the fingerpost.
- Follow this track past farm buildings on your left and take the path going directly across the field to a gap in the hedge. Go straight across the next field to reach a gate and a stile which you cross.
- Walk straight ahead and go across the next stile. Keeping the hedge on your right walk up the edge of the field for approximately 400 metres. As the hedge bends left, cross two stiles on your right and into the next field.
- Bear to the left and go through the gate. Walk diagonally right across the field to a stile by the road. Cross the stile and go left down the road (if you are in need of refreshments go right to meet The Six Ashes Pub and The Six Ashes tea rooms by the A458).
- Take the next road on the right and follow the road for just over 800 metres to a sharp right hand bend. At the bend leave the road, walking straight ahead through a double green gate and onto a track. Immediately after passing through the gate, cross the stile on the right.
- Go diagonally right down into the field corner where you go through a small gate and onto a track. Follow the track to the bottom and go through an open gateway. Walk diagonally up to the right hand corner of the field and cross the stile.
- Walk around the field keeping the fence on your right until you meet a stile. (From this point if you are following the Long Walk go to number 14). Don't cross the stile, but facing away from it walk directly across the field to another stile by two brick structures. Cross the stile and carry on down the footpath keeping the fence on your right.
- Climb the stile and continue down to the farm buildings. Go through the gate by the large black shed and enter the farmyard. Go through the farmyard and exit on the track on to a sharp right hand bend. Cross the road and go up the right of the two tracks.
- Follow the path through the large field before crossing over the second stile on the left. Walk across the field, heading toward three large oak trees. Pass underneath the oaks and join a grassy lane that takes you down to the road. Turn right here and head back to The Red Lion.
- Follow the fence down past a pond on your right and through a gateway. Continue on down the field before crossing a stile by a gate and into a lane. Turn right up the lane, passing two gates on the left before taking the third gate just before the farm
- You are now on the Staffordshire Way. Follow the field down keeping the hedge on your right, before crossing a stile at the bottom. Follow a narrow path down between a fence and a hedge, passing a farm on your left. Go through a gate and walk between two pools before reaching a farm track. Cross the farm track and go through a metal gate directly opposite
- Follow this path up the field turning left at a field corner and climbing to the top of the field. Turn left along the top of the field with the hedge on your right and take the next right through the open gateway, before walking straight across the field where you meet a road
- Turn right up the road until you meet another road. Turn left down this road and take a footpath just after White House Lane on your right.
- Walk through Highgate Common staying on the main path, following the Staffordshire Way waymarks, until you reach the car park at the top. Leave the Staffordshire Way here and walk left across the car park.
- Turn left down the next path, passing a shed on your right and follow the path for 800 metres to a track, then follow the track for 800 metres to the road. Cross the road and walk down the road opposite passing Halfpenny Green Airport on your right before crossing another road.
- Enter the farm opposite and keep left to cross the corner stile. Follow the hedge on the left to the field corner and then cross the stile. Go diagonally right across the next field heading toward a projecting hedge corner.
- Keeping the hedge on your left, follow the path across two fields to a lane. Turn right down the lane for 10 metres before turning left and crossing the large field.
- Climb the stile directly ahead and walk down to the next stile in the left corner. Cross here and follow the alley down to the road. Cross the stile and at the road turn left, back into Bobbington.
A downloadable version of the original printed leaflet including a map of the route, is available below. Please note that the text above is the most up to date route details we have.