Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies

How to become a candidate

Anyone can be elected as a county councillor, either as a member of a political party or as an independent representative.

Staffordshire has 62 electoral divisions which cover the eight districts within the county, and most have one county councillor representing them.

County Council elections are held every four years (normally in the month of May). The next elections are due to take place on 1 May 2025. The election process starts at the end of March when nomination papers need to be completed.

Each candidate needs to obtain the signatures of 10 registered voters who are willing to support the nomination for the division being contested.


To be eligible to become a candidate you must meet the following criteria:

  • be 18 and over
  • be an UK, Commonwealth or EU citizen (in accordance with relevant legislation at the time of publishing this information)
  • be a registered voter within Staffordshire or live, work in or occupy as owner or tenant land or property within the county


Any costs incurred by you as a candidate such as the printing of posters and leaflets must be borne by you. There are also rules as to how much you may spend on publicity and other costs and a return of all expenditure and income must be completed after the election. Additionally there are rules about what must be printed on such literature regarding printers and publishers.


You may wish to appoint an agent to help you deal with all of the work involved and help you with complying with all the regulations.

Further information

You can find further information and should start the process with your local district or borough council.

There are no results that match your search criteria