Bus Passes for older or disabled residents
Apply, renew or replace online
Am I eligible?
Older person's bus pass
To see if you qualify for an older person's bus pass, check your qualifying date or look at the government's State Pension Calculator.
Disabled residents' bus pass
You may also qualify for a bus pass if you have a disability that would come under one of these categories.
Stoke on Trent residents
Please note: The Staffordshire County Council area does not cover Stoke on Trent City. If you are a Resident of Stoke on Trent, you can find out about their concessionary bus passes on the Stoke City Council web site.
Apply, renew or replace lost, damaged or stolen cards online
If you want to apply for or renew a bus pass, the easiest way is to apply or renew online. You can also replace lost, damaged or stolen cards by applying online. The charge for a lost/damaged pass is £10. There is no charge for replacing a stolen pass but you will need to supply a ‘crime number’ after having reported the theft to the Police.
You can also renew passes and replace lost or stolen passes by calling our contact centre on 0300 111 8000 or by calling into your local Staffordshire County Council managed library.
Please note that once you have reported your pass as lost we cannot reinstate the pass if you find it. The pass is ‘hotlisted’ immediately to prevent another person using the pass.
What will I need?
- a valid email address (with their approval this can be an email address from friends or family)
- a webcam or a digital camera or an existing digital image
- a scanned or digital copy of proof of identity such as a passport or driving licence with photograph
- a scanned or digital copy of proof of residency in Staffordshire - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc
- a scanned or digital copy of proof of your disability if you are applying for a disabled pass
- your old bus pass if you need a renewal
If you have a problem with your application, please contact us.
Apply, renew or replace in person
- To apply in person you can go to one of Staffordshire County Council managed libraries
What will I need to bring with me?
- proof of your identity - such as a passport or driving licence with photograph
- proof of residency in Staffordshire (excluding Stoke on Trent) - for example a utilities bill (less than 3 months old), bank or building society statement, benefit statement, pension statement, driving licence, council tax bill, etc
- your current or expired pass if you need a renewal
- proof of your age if you are applying for an older person's pass
You will not need to supply a photograph. Library staff will take your photo and process your application . The pass will take 7-10 working days to process.
Where and when can I travel?
Free travel in the Staffordshire County Council area is available to anyone with a County Council issued bus pass, when they board a local bus service anywhere in the Staffordshire County Council area.
The bus pass allows free travel in England between 9:30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
You cannot use your bus pass on trains or trams.
Companion bus pass
Anyone who is eligible for a bus pass but who can't travel unassisted may also be able to get a 'companion pass'. This will allow their carer to travel free within the Staffordshire County Council administrative area.
Problems with applying?
Please contact us so we can help.
Alternatively you can contact us via:
Phone: 0300 111 8000
Frequently asked questions
For more information please visit our frequently asked questions page.