Tracing Polish ancestors
How to begin
- Research Poland's history. Surviving record locations may have changed over time.
- Find out as much as you can from your relatives.
- Ask about place of origin and religious denomination or faith.
- Find the name of the town or village of origin.
- Collect any documents, such as birth, baptism, marriage or death certificates.
- Try to find information about work, immigration and education.
Depending on when your family came to this country, there may be records in the UK and/or records held in Poland.
The Polish Roots website provides background information, history, contact details and advice about how to make enquiries for records held in Poland.
Please note: records held in Poland must be asked for in Polish.
If you would like this information in Polish, please contact Staffordshire Record Office.