Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

Drugs and Alcohol

Support for drug or alcohol problems

We provide treatment, recovery and support services for people in Staffordshire.

If you need help with an alcohol or drug problem you can contact the Staffordshire Treatment and Recovery System (STaRS) services for adults or young people.  These are available in various locations across the county.

  • STaRS Inclusion is a drug and alcohol treatment service for adults over 18 years old however we recognise it may be more appropriate for some over 18s to access to young people’s services.
  • T3 STaRS is a drug and alcohol treatment service for young people aged under 21 years old.

Lived experience recovery organisations

Those with lived experience of drug and alcohol use have a vital role to play in harm reduction, treatment, recovery support services and family support. Within Staffordshire we have two organisations that currently deliver support across areas of the County.

  • Better Way Recovery offer a variety of group and one to one therapy programmes delivered by people who are living in recovery. 
  • Chase Recovery is a community based, peer-led rehabilitation programme for those who have suffered with alcohol and substance misuse and are wanting a new, abstinent, life of meaning and purpose. 

Helping yourself

If you regularly drink above the lower risk guidelines, cutting back on alcohol can help improve your general well-being.  For further information see;

  • Alcohol Change UK: offers support and information if you're worried that you're drinking too much.
  • Better Health – is a service for adults and includes a unit calculator.  This will help you to work out how much you are drinking and what to do to cut back.
  • Talk to Frank – offers information and advice, if you are worried about drug taking - for any age, on drugs, drug taking, and how to access help.  Also you can ‘live chat’ with an adviser to discuss what options for help are available. 

There are a number of mutual aid, self-help groups for people experiencing difficulties with drugs or alcohol:


More help and advice

Further information about drug or alcohol issues is also available here;

  • Drinking and Alcohol – NHS information and advice on alcohol
  • Drugs and drug abuse – NHS information and advice on drugs
  • Facts about drugs – NHS information 
  • Drinkline - if you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, telephone 0300 123 1110 for a free, confidential conversation (weekdays 9am – 8pm, weekends 11am – 4pm)

For those affected by someone else’s alcohol or drug use, the following organisations offer support and information; 

  • Adfam - advice and support for those concerned about a family member’s drink or drug taking
  • Al-Anon – advice and support for those affected by someone else’s drinking 


Looking for further support?

You can find further information and support from local organisations on the Staffordshire Connects online directory.

There are no results that match your search criteria