Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Staffordshire County Council is committed to tackling inequalities both in our community and workforce.
The Equality Act 2010 provides a legal framework to protect the rights of individuals and advance equality of opportunity for all. In 2011, the public sector equality duty (the equality duty) came into force. As a public body, the Council are required to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
It is unlawful to discriminate against someone because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation. These are referred to as protected characteristics protected under the Equality Act 2010.
The Council is also required to:
- Publish an annual Gender Pay Report
- Publish an annual Workforce Profile
- Publish one or more objectives that it thinks it needs to achieve, to further any of the aims of the general equality duty every four years.
To view the Council’s latest Gender Pay Gap Report and Workforce Equality Data click here
Our Equalities Objectives
The Council has developed principles which set out our ambitions for equality, diversity and inclusion in our county, in delivering our services, and as an employer.
- Staffordshire is a place where there is equality of opportunity for all, regardless of circumstances.
- Staffordshire County Council is an inclusive and diverse employer, where our people feel they have the opportunity to succeed and progress.
- Staffordshire County Council develops and delivers services that are inclusive and accessible to all.
Alongside this, we have developed four priority equalities objectives for 2021-23:
- Review and strengthen our recruitment and retention processes and practices
- Review and strengthen our diversity and inclusion training offer to employees
- Strengthen our approach to engaging and collaborating with our workforce and communities on diversity and inclusion issues
- Raise awareness of, and celebrate diversity
Progress against these objectives will be monitored on an annual basis.