Trading Standards Fees
The fees will be reviewed annually.
Non primary authority
Hourly rate: £58.00 +VAT
To be charged for all advice beyond basic legal advice and its application or interpretation. A new business will receive additional support during the first year to encourage a good start.
Primary authority annual fee
This fee will be a calculation of the cost of the annual review meeting held on the anniversary of the contract plus the agreed number of hours required. A 10 per cent discount is then applied.
Subsequent hours or discrete projects are chargeable at the hourly rate. The annual fee will be payable on 1 April or quarterly on the first day of each quarter. A company signing up during the financial year will pay a pro rata amount for the remainder of that financial year. The initial set up fee will also be payable in the first year.
Unused hours will not roll over or be refunded.
Pay as you go
- Set up fee: £250
- Annual Review: £100
- Hourly rate: £58.00
- Travel out of county: £0.45 per mile + subsistence
Please note: All hours are chargeable with a minimum charge of ½ an hour and then in 15 minute increments.
A discrete project may be priced as a one off fee but will be based on the amount of work involved.
Businesses to be invoiced by agreement but at least quarterly.
- Weights exceeding 5kg or not exceeding 500 mg, 2CM: £9.89 + VAT
- Other weights: £8.16 +VAT
- Discount for multiple submission at the same time and place by the same person.
- More than 2 weights – 40% on all, subject to a minimum charge of £41.82
Linear measures not exceeding 3m for each scale: £12.24 + VAT
Subject to minimum charge of: £41.82
- Non EC: Not exceeding 1 tonne: £72.42 + VAT
- Exceeding 1 tonne to 10 tonne: £118.32 + VAT
- Exceeding 10 tonne: £243.78 + VAT
- EC (NAWI) Not exceeding 1 tonne: £103.02+ VAT
- Exceeding 1 tonne to 10 tonne: £158.10+ VAT
- Exceeding 10 tonnes: £342.72+ VAT
- When testing instruments incorporating remote display or printing facilities, and where completion of the test requires a second person or a second series of tests by the same person, an additional fee based upon the basic fee given above plus a 50% surcharge.
- When supplying specialist equipment (including but not limited to weighbridge test unit, van and test weights, etc.) an additional fee may be charged hourly, daily or per appointment, according to circumstance.
- Discount for second and subsequent instruments - 40% (instrument attracting the highest fee to be charged first).
Measuring instruments for liquid fuel and lubricants
- Container type (not subdivided): £84.66+ VAT
- First nozzle tested, per site: £137.70+ VAT
- Each additional nozzle tested: £84.66+ VAT
- Fees where the test is to cover the following equipment only;
- Testing of peripheral electronic equipment: £92.82+ VAT on a separate visit (per site)
- Testing of credit card acceptor: (per unit, £92.82+ VAT regardless of no. of slots/nozzles/pumps)
Special weighing or measuring equipment
The charges for examining, adjusting, testing, certifying, stamping, authorising or reporting on special weighing or measuring equipment will be individually calculated and based upon £92.00 + VAT per officer per hour at the place where the service is provided.
Such types of equipment specifically excluded from the table above include:
- automatic or totalising weighing machines
- equipment designed to weigh loads in motion
- bulk fuel measuring equipment tested following a Regulation 65 or 66 occurrence
- weighing or measuring equipment tested by means of statistical sampling;
- the establishment of calibration curves for templets
- templets graduated in millilitres
- testing or other services in pursuance of a Community obligation other than EU initial or partial verification.
The fee for adjusting any weight or measure will be the same as that for testing such including VAT. No discounts for adjustments will be allowed.
When a certificate is issued, an additional charge of £52.00 + VAT is payable.
The fees set out above for legal metrology work, including the additional cost for a certificate, will be charged for quality assurance calibrations and tests. In all cases VAT must be added.
Twice the fee (plus VAT) is chargeable when uncertainties are stated.
Where officers attend on site for an appointment, which has not been cancelled prior to the officers leaving the office.
The Division reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee based upon £92.00 + VAT per officer per hour.
A charge will be made for any delay incurred; this will be charged at £92.00 + VAT per officer per hour.
Where it may be inappropriate to apply any of the above fees or discounts, a special rate may be arranged with the Business Support Manager.
Fees listed below for the licencing to store explosives relate to Regulations 13 and 27 and Schedule 5 of the Explosives Regulations 2014.
Provision of the Explosives Regulations 2014 under which application made.
Licence to store explosives where, by virtue of the regulation 27 of the Schedule 5 to the 2014 Regulations, a minimum separation distance of greater that 0 metres is required:
A. One years duration: £185
B. Two years duration: £243
C. Three years duration: £304
D. Four years duration: £374
E. Five years duration: £423
Licence to store explosives where by virtue of regulation 27 of Schedule 5 to the 2014 Regulations no minimum separation distance or a 0 metres separation distance is prescribed:
A. One years duration: £109
B. Two years duration: £141
C. Three years duration £173
D. Four years duration: £206
E. Five years duration: £238
Renewal of licence to store explosives where by virtue of regulation 27 of Schedule 5 to the 2014 Regulations a minimum separation distance of greater than 0 metres is prescribed:
A. One years duration: £86
B: Two years duration: £147
C: Three years duration: £206
D: Four years duration: £266
E: Five years duration: £326
Renewal of licence to store explosives where by virtue of regulation 27 of Schedule 5 to the 2014 Regulations no minimum separation distance or a 0 metres minimum separation distance is prescribed:
A. One years duration: £54
B: Two years duration: £86
C: Three years duration: £120
D: Four years duration: £152
E: Five years duration: £185
Varying a licence
A: Varying name of licensee or address of site: £36
(eg ABC supermarkets Ltd changes to ABC supermarkets 2019 Ltd ) or a change of road name eg council changes High street to New High Street.
B: Any other kind of variation; the reasonable cost to the licensing authority of having the work carried out.
This will apply to many licence changes eg movement of cabinets on plans, when an officer needs to visit the site, reissue of paperwork. This fee will be the reasonable cost of carrying out the work. In Staffordshire we will be charging our primary authority rate of £58/hour.
All these fees do not have VAT added
Transfer of licence: £36; Replacement of licence: £36.
The fee payable for a licence or renewal of a licence:
(a) of less than one year’s duration is, respectively, the fee set out above for a licence or renewal of a licence of one year’s duration decreased proportionately according to the duration of the period for which the licence renewal is granted;
(b) of more than one but less than two years’ duration is, respectively, the fee set out above for a licence, or a renewal of a licence, of one year’s duration increased proportionately according to the duration of the period for which the licence or renewal is granted;
(c) of more than two but less than three years’ duration is, respectively, the fee set out above for a licence or renewal of a licence of two years duration increased proportionately according to the duration of the period for which the licence or renewal is granted;
(d) of more than three but less than four years’ duration is, respectively, the fee set out above for a licence or renewal of a licence of three years’ duration increased proportionately according to the duration of the period for which the licence or renewal is granted;
(e) of more than four but less than five years’ duration is, respectively, the fee set out above for a licence or renewal of a licence of four years duration increased proportionately according to the duration of the period for which the licence or renewal is granted.
Licence to sell fireworks all year round
These fees are set by the Fireworks Regulations 2004, regulation 9.
Annual licence to sell fireworks outside the permitted periods: £500
Petroleum storage - annual fees to store petrol
These fees are set by the health and safety and nuclear (fees) regulations 2016.
- Storage of up to 2500 litres petroleum: £44
- 2500 to 50,000 litres: £60
- Over 50,000 litres: £125
The Keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum storage capacity. The Keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.
Petroleum history file search
Fees charged in respect of Petroleum History File Search carried out £58 per hour +VAT (per officer).
For any activities carried out as part of statutory duties where cost incurred may be reclaimed by the local authority, this will be charged at £58 per hour plus VAT. This may include additional charges for third parties engaged on behalf of Staffordshire County Council in order to fulfil legislative requirement.