Our use of cookies We use necessary cookies to make our site work. Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, website analytics and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work, please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of cookies, click the 'Accept' button.

National lockdown: Stay at home

Re-registration of a child's birth

What is a re-registration of birth?

A child's birth must be re-registered at an appointment if the parents have entered a marriage or civil partnership with each other since the birth.

A new birth record will then be created which will show the child as a child of the parents' marriage or civil partnership. This replaces the original registration and all future copy birth certificates will be issued from this new record.

How do I re-register a birth?

Please note: re-registration cannot be completed in advance, it can only happen after your marriage or civil partnership ceremony.

Both parents need to fill in an LA1 form for each child, from the Gov.uk website. You can also get this form from a registration office.

Send the form with the child’s birth certificate and your marriage/civil partnership certificate to the Registration Office where you would like to have the appointment, this doesn't have to be the office that you initially registered the birth in.

Once the registration office receives the form they will contact you to book an appointment. Only one parent will need to attend this appointment although both are welcome.

For more information please contact us.

Fees and charges

There is no charge for this service, but you can purchase a new full birth certificate for your child which you will need for many official purposes, such as passport applications.


There are no results that match your search criteria

Latest news

Staffordshire Residents Without Covid Symptoms Urged to Book Tests as New Community Testing Centres Open on Monday

People who must leave their homes during the lockdown are being urged to keep getting tested - as eight new Community Testing Centres open across Staffordshire on Monday. (January 18)
15 January 2021

County's mass Covid testing blitz ramped up

A fleet of "Let's Get Tested" vans are to be rolled out across the county to bolster Staffordshire County Council's efforts to tackle Covid-19 and test more people without symptoms.
15 January 2021

Climate change funding still available

Community groups, parish councils and schools with projects that help tackle climate change are being reminded that there is still time to apply for funding.
14 January 2021

Preparation starts for small-scale grazing project

Work to introduce a cattle-grazing conservation project on part of Cannock Chase is beginning this month.
14 January 2021

Visit the Staffordshire Newsroom