Our use of cookies

We use strictly necessary cookies to make our site work. These cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone. For more information on how these cookies work please see our privacy policy.

To agree to our use of analytical cookies, click the 'Accept cookies' button. No, give me more information.
Accept cookies Reject analytical cookies Manage cookies
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it

Who do I need to tell?

Our Tell Us Once service means you will be able to just tell us once about the death, and then we can tell other government departments and local authority services for you. 

How does it work?

When you make an appointment to register a death you will be asked if the deceased lived in Staffordshire. If so the Tell Us Once service will be offered to you. 

How much does it cost?

The Tell Us Once service is free. 

Who do you notify for me?

Local Councils

  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Payments and Benefits Office
  • Council Housing
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badges (Please bring the Blue Badge with you if available)
  • Adult Social Care
  • Children's Services
  • Collection of payments for Council Services
  • Electoral services
  • Bus Passes

Identity and Passport Service

  • Passport Cancellation

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

  • Driving Licence Cancellation

Department for Work and Pensions

  • Pension, Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team

Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency War Pensions Scheme

  • HM Revenue and Customs

View more information about who is notified on the Gov.uk website.

Is there anyone you don't notify for me?

If the deceased had commitments to any of the following you should contact them yourself:

  • Accountant
  • Bank/building society
  • Car or vehicle breakdown policy
  • Church or place of worship
  • Clubs and social groups
  • Dentist
  • Driving licence
  • Doctors
  • DVLA (to cancel car tax and for vehicle registration)
  • Employers
  • Hire purchase/loan companies
  • Home help agency
  • Hospital clinics
  • Insurance providers (home, vehicle etc.)
  • Internet provider
  • Landlord
  • Life assurance
  • Local co-operative share dividend office
  • Mail for redirection
  • Mortgage provider
  • Premium bond office
  • National savings and investments
  • Probate office
  • Professional bodies
  • Private healthcare provider
  • Relatives and friends
  • Solicitor
  • TV licensing
  • Telephone provider
  • Utilities

What do I need to bring with me?

If you want to use the Tell Us Once service you will need to bring the following to your death registration appointment:

  • Deceased's National Insurance Number
  • Deceased's date of birth
  • Deceased’s surviving husband, wife or civil partner’s National Insurance Number or next of kin's National Insurance Number
  • Next of kin's name, address and telephone number
  • Information about any benefits and services the deceased may have been receiving (e.g. state pension, income support, housing benefit, library card etc.)
  • Name and Address of the person dealing with the deceased's estate (if different)
  • Deceased's Driving Licence (if held), or Driver Number if licence not available
  • Deceased's Passport (if held) or Passport Number if passport not available
  • Deceased's Blue Badge (if held)

What happens if I can't find all the documents I need?

Please bring anything you can find and we will do what we can at the registration.

If you find documents after the appointment, your registrar will give you details about who to contact to pass this on.

Please note: do not return to the register office where the appointment took place, as we are unable to help you - please use the telephone service.

How do I know who has been told?

After the death registration appointment you will be given a letter with a reference number and which departments we have told on your behalf.

Departments may contact you to make sure that the documents have been processed.

What happens if I don't hear from all the departments you notified?

If you haven't heard from a department within 28 days, please contact Tell Us Once directly with the details given to you at your registration appointment. Staffordshire County Council will not be able to contact them for you.

The register office will not be informed of any contact between you and the department.

Can I use the service later if I change my mind?

We will register the deceased on the Tell Us Once system at your appointment, which will let you use the telephone service at a later date if you change your mind. This must be done at your appointment, as we can't to do it later. 

If you choose not to use the service, the information will not be shared with anyone.

How do you treat the information we give to you?

We treat all information securely. Organisations that we give your information to will use it to update their records, but only as the law allows.

Can I use the service if the death goes to inquest?

The service can be used once you have been issued with the interim death certificate.

There are no results that match your search criteria