Local authorities (social services) have a duty to look into concerns of abuse relating to adults who have care and support needs.
Adult safeguarding relates to adults who have care and support needs that are experiencing, or at risk of abuse, neglect or exploitation. In other words, being made to do things they don't want to in return for money, accommodation, 'love' and presents for example.
Adults with care and support needs may:
- be elderly and frail because of ill-health, disability or condition such as dementia
- have a learning disability
- have a physical disability or be blind or deaf
- have mental health needs including dementia
- not have capacity to make some decisions and is in need of care and support