Posted on Wednesday 13th April 2022
With acres of beautiful countryside and urban green spaces, people are being urged to explore them as part of this year’s Staffordshire Day celebrations.
The great outdoors is the theme for the seventh county day, which falls on Sunday May 1, and organisers want people to get out and explore the county’s stunning locations.
Victoria Wilson, Cabinet Member for Communities and Culture at Staffordshire County Council said:
We’re all very excited about this year’s Staffordshire Day and our theme the great outdoors which will celebrate our amazing countryside and open spaces.
With our five county council-managed country parks and national treasures like Cannock Chase AONB, the Peak District National Park and part of The National Forest we have so much amazing countryside to explore and be proud of.
Walking is a great way of keeping physically active and being out in nature is wonderful for lifting the spirits. What better way to celebrate Staffordshire Day then a visit to one of our country parks?”
Staffordshire County Council’s country parks include:
• Cannock Chase – this highly protected site lies within the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has beautiful scenery, rare and special wildlife, amazing cultural heritage and great walking trails.
• Chasewater Country Park’s large reservoir provides a four-mile circular route with a great view of the lake with plenty of stops for getting some great photos.
• Apedale Country Park is a short three-mile trip from Newcastle-Under-Lyme town centre. This lovely site offers great views, great wildlife and heritage.
• Deep Hayes Country Park outside Leek is an area of woodland and meadows with a series of pools and pathways.
• Greenway Bank near Biddulph is a beautiful site with a fascinating history – walk the new Heritage Trail to discover its hidden secrets.
A packed programme of events and activities including a film competition, arts project and visit to the House of Commons have also been organised for this year’s celebrations.
People can keep up to date with Staffordshire Day events at www.enjoystaffordshire.com