Posted on Tuesday 29th June 2021
School crossing patrols are being recruited now to begin work at the end of the summer holidays.
Staffordshire County Council has around 25 vacancies to fill across the region, including in Biddulph, Burton, Cheadle and Kidsgrove, as well as parts of Cannock Chase, South Staffordshire and East Staffordshire.
Working for between 45 minutes and an hour twice a day during term-time, depending on the location, the jobs are ideal to fit around other commitments.
Jonathan Price, Staffordshire County Council’s Cabinet member for Education (and SEND), said:
Crossing patrols do such important work in their communities and I know that those who do the job find it hugely rewarding, not least for the interaction with the children as they go to and from school.
The uniform is provided to the successful applicants and we are keen to have people lined up ready for training at the beginning of September.”
Applicants will also need to complete a DBS check.
Pay is above the minimum wage, at £9.62 per hour, and the distinctive uniform comes with the job.
The council places 225 patrols across the county based on national criteria to provide a high level of safety at key crossing points.
Jonathan Price added:
There are all kinds of people in our communities for whom being a school crossing patrol would be a perfect fit, whether it ties in with their lifestyle, or their desire to perform a valuable public service.
No previous experience or formal skills are needed, though the ability to strike up a rapport with children, parents, drivers and teachers will be a great help.”
Anyone interested can call 0300 111 8049 or complete the application form here or by going to the Staffordshire County Council website and searching ‘school crossing patrol’.
Current vacancies are at:
- Station Road, Barlaston (ref A224);
- Pepper Street, Silverdale (A315a);
- Priory Road / Abbot's Way, Newcastle (A410);
- Old Rd/New Rd, Audley (A426);
- Knutton Lane / Ashfields New Road, Newcastle (A435);
- Knutton Lane, Knutton (A447a);
- Congleton Road nr jct with Halls Rd, Biddulph (A479);
- Chapel Lane, Harriseahead (A610);
- Alexandra Road, Wolstanton (A614);
- Alexandra Road, Wolstanton (A614a);
- The Avenue Kidsgrove (by library) (A618);
- Gloucester Avenue, Kidsgrove (A625);
- Gloucester Rd o/s No. 138, Kidsgrove (A625b);
- Wolgarston Way/Cannock Rd, Penkridge - 2 positions (B386);
- Penkridge Middle School, Marsh Lane, Penkridge (B387a);
- The Avenue, Featherstone (B369a);
- The Parkway/Gainsborough Dr, Perton (B072);
- Cheadle (D502a);
- Cheadle (D508a);
- Branston Road/All Saints Road, Burton (E1);
- All Saints Road/Uxbridge Street, Burton (E3a)
- Wetmore Road, Burton (E022);
- Gilmore Lane/Efflinch Lane, Barton under Needwood (E048);
- Station Road Zebra, Barton under Needwood (E205);
- Main St, Yoxall (E206).