Posted on Monday 22nd July 2019
Going to university and studying for a degree has traditionally been considered the best route to a good job, but these days things are less clear.
So what are the benefits of university compared to an apprenticeship?
|Apprenticeship? || University?|
|Apprenticeships are a direct route into the work place. Your child can find a job and start climbing the career ladder right away.
||Universities offer a broad range of subjects to study. When your child finishes they'll have a broader range of careers to pursue.
|Apprentices earn a salary while they learn, as well as avoiding thousands of pounds in student debt. In some apprenticeships lifetime earnings can rival university graduates, depending on the type of apprenticeship being studied.
||The estimated lifetime earnings of those who go to top Russell Group universities is said to be higher than those who do not.
|No longer dominated by manual trades and the engineering sector, apprenticeships are now available in IT, journalism, nuclear, fashion and more. Search local apprenticeship opportunities to see what’s out there.
||Some professions in the business, engineering, healthcare and science sectors require you to have a degree. For example if you want to be a doctor then university is your only choice.
|Employers value apprenticeships because they help to create employees with experience as well as communication, problem solving and teamwork skills.
||Employers respect graduates because of the depth of knowledge and transferable skills, such as critical thinking, a degree provides.
Both university and apprenticeships are good choices - it’s about taking the time to consider what qualifications your child already has, what they’d like to study, what their financial situation is and what they’d like to do in the future. Do some research and you'll be able to help them choose the best option for them.
8 Surprising facts about apprenticeships
- The earning potential of the best apprenticeships rivals degrees*. Plus, apprentices get paid, which means a salary whilst qualifying, paid holiday and a debt free foot on the career ladder.
- Apprenticeships are now available up to degree level and beyond, over 50 universities currently offer a range of degree apprenticeships and this is set to increase.
- Apprenticeships are the most direct route into the work place with 90% of apprentices staying employed.
- Apprentices in Staffordshire have a graduation ceremony.
- Those who complete an apprenticeship earn more in their lifetime and for those completing a Higher Apprenticeship this can be £150,000 more.
- Apprenticeships aren’t just for manual trades and engineering anymore. There are apprenticeships in a wide variety of careers and industries including accountancy, IT, law, media, publishing, journalism and more. Have a browse of apprenticeship opportunities to find out more.
- They're not just for school leavers, you can apply at any age if you want to retrain or change your career.
- Apprenticeships are valued by employers because they create employees who have experience and have developed communication, problem-solving and teamwork skills.
Other pages we think you'll be interested in -